TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to rebuild the A/C system on my 90 Cougar when I replace the engine.Is the stock compressor compatible with 134a refrigerant?How about the pressure switches,will they work?If not,please advise on what will work and fit.I'm doing a 5.3 Vortech swap.Should I just stick with the stock 5.3 compressor?

·
Registered
134 Posts
you are putting a chevy engine into a ford? whatever, but yes the stock compressor is fine with R134a refrigerant. you may have to replace the seals with ones for R134a though, as well as install barrier hose. and hile you are at it, replace the orifice, the receiver/drier, and the condenser with units compatible with R134a, and dont forget to use the right oil as well, if you use the R12 oil, it will curdle and be useless.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
The compressor will do okay with 134, like mentioned. The same compressor was later used with 134. Most hoses, if older, will be fine, and if newer, are likely already barrier hoses. Need to be sure to have the green o-rings. Also try to drain out as much of the oil from the compressor as you can before putting in the correct oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ac comp

Compressor is compatible but the fx10
comp were not very durable. The newer version is a fs 15 is much better . I just did a 3rd conversion on a 90 anny sc. For the $150 for a new unit and a total of 350 for cond, acum, comp, orfice tube all setup for 134a, I cant see trying to use old comp. They seem to work for awhile then either leak or break. These are dealer prices, retail will be higher. There's a dealer in Minneapolis that will ship and usually has everything in stock.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.I am completely rebuilding the A/C system,I just wonder which way to go so I make sure to have a core for the new reman compressor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A lot of places don't require a core for the fs15 comp. Most have new for about the same as rebuilt so no core charge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts