1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
No they aren't bad... just some of us don't necessarily view the changes Lincoln made to the Gen 2s as improvments. ;) The Gen 2 is generally acknowledged by those who own both to have better "road manners" and as a better highway car. I don't like the restyled front end but there are obviously many that do. The intake manifold is also supposed to be more restrictive so the stock 1/4 mile times for Gen 2s usually lag behind those of Gen 1s but unless you're headed for the strip every weekend that's no big deal. They second gens also have that blend door thing and taillight neons to fix that most gen 1 owners don't face. If you're like the rest of us, drive it and you'll want it. If the 98 does it for you by all means go for it, BUT get the blend door fixed before you buy it if you can.

The one in that link is insanely overpriced even at that mileage.

edit: Upon further review I see it's a Collector's Edition so I don't know if it really is out of line - I don't keep up on Gen 2 prices much.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
The reason most people say the Gen II's are "bad" is because they are about 1/2 a second slower than a Gen I. :bawling:

The Gen II's have a redesigned intake that is a major POS and hurts it's performance. But it has COP ignition which is an improvement over the early DIS (IMHO).

Personally I like the looks of the Gen II well over the Gen I's, but obviously that is just my opinion.

And also obviously, that person is on drugs!!! That is way, way, WAY overpriced. I paid $6500 for my 97 LSC on eBay and the "normal going price" for the Gen II's on eBay are $7K to about $15K (for a VERY nice one)!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
What year does the Gen II start and the Gen I end?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Gen I = 93 - 96 (96 Gen I LSC's could come with HID headlights)
Gen II = 97/98 (New "smoother" body style and HID on all models)(And slower)
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Thanks. Always liked the Mark VIII but never could afford one. Now I've got the LE and though I'd still like a Mark, I can't justify two Stallions in one stable! ;) (Or would that be two roosters in one Pen?)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Yep, good looking, very desireable, but WOW!! I think he's smoking something!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I had my heart set on a Gen II LSC, pearl, gray interior. I drove one, it was okay, but I couldn't tell everything it needed because both front wheel bearing were going out, so I couldn't drive it far. The blend door was toast, both headlights had water in them, the neon looked bad and had a ton of water in it, the air suspension dropped all the way down in 3 hours, and they wouldn't budge off 7500 for it (which I would have paid if it was worth it, and I could really drive it to see how it did). It was down hill from there. I found a 93 I liked mechanically, but it was that orangy tan (saddle) interior and I couldn't hack it. I looked at 15 Mark Viiis, and drove away with my 97 Cougar Sport. Do I wish it was a 290 hp DOHC air suspended HID individual person memory lincoln instead? Yeah, but I am happy with my Cougar, and feel better about it now that i have personalized it a little, and getting ready to get a little more power out of it.

Once I drove a Gen I and saw one in good shape, I would go for a 93 or a 96 LSC, but I wouldn't kick a 97 or 98 outta bed either, but I have my daily nice driver now, so I am probably off the market for one, my wife is pretty mad about this one (you already have a Cougar, I want a <insert big SUV/Truck/importcrapboxnamehere>), and I drive it when it is running and together almost every day. I will probably end my love affair with the Mark VIII and once the 97 is done, get my weekend warrior/nice weather car going, the 63 Falcon.

Did I mention it was 80 degrees today, I started sweating and had to stop putting together my kids christmas toys, and finish the suspension on the 97 so I could drive it (minus busted tokico rear shocks dammit).

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
lol, whoever posted that ad is on crack. $39k???

its probably not worth more than $10k and i dont even know if its worth that much.

Frank

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's the blend door?

Also, that's about what a 2006 F250 King Ranch diesel with every option cost a few months ago. Yes, he's on crack.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
The blend door allows the climate controls to go from hot to cold. It gets stuck in one position, and requires a pretty significant amount of work to get to it to fix it. Half of the cars I tried out only blew hot air, the other have only cold.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, wouldn't it be easier to just feed a catheter through the cooling system at the radiator overflow?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts