TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
NiteFire said:
Considering they are really a third gen ford probe, do they get the same respect here, and the other ones?
How is the latest Cougar at all related to the probe? They shared platforms with the ford contour and mercury mystic...

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
personally i do not like the newer cougars. front wheel drive and kind of "import lookin". i sat i one and it just seemed cheap. didnt mean to offend just my 2 cents. :)

·
Pimp in denial
998 Posts
Stoltz13 said:
How is the latest Cougar at all related to the probe? They shared platforms with the ford contour and mercury mystic...
in other words...no. :D

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
maybe if someone crammed at 4.6L in one, or a 3.8SC, and converted it to rear-drive, then maybe..... Sleeper?

Jay

·
midnight toker
1,497 Posts
FordMan77 said:
maybe if someone crammed at 4.6L in one, or a 3.8SC, and converted it to rear-drive, then maybe..... Sleeper?

Jay
now thats an idea, most of the 99's+ that i see go by me with some dip in it with the chair ghetto leaned and his hat on sideways, and the "muffler" is making a horrible loud fart sound, heck one near my house has a dual chrome fart maker... :mad: . but they are kinda fun to drive with a stick.... not that i would buy one.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they are related to the probe as it was going to be the 1998 model, until they discontinued it, and gave the car design to mercury. It has the 2.0 4 banger, and the 2.5 V6, that was to continue the Probe line

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
NiteFire said:
they are related to the probe as it was going to be the 1998 model, until they discontinued it, and gave the car design to mercury. It has the 2.0 4 banger, and the 2.5 V6, that was to continue the Probe line

ok, well in a nutshell, we dont discuss, endorse, or support the "other cougar". On the title page of this site.... www.tccoa.com there is a small listing of model year cars we discuss and mod...your answer can be found there also.

joseph

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
The 99 up cougar is the best car ever they hold value well, have a great bolt pattern, awesome engine's, high quality tail lights and you can remove them with NO tools!, I mean it makes the 97 cougar look like junk

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
the 99 cougars are contour based. all of 99+ cougar, contour, mystique, villager, probes and festivia /aspires needs to driven into a big hole and never seen again . they are all pos. anythign that ford has a cross breed with is nothing but a headache. expensive to repair and not worth owning. and the 99 couagr is nothing but a chick car and most of the guys that own them around here are gay

·
Registered
859 Posts
NightFire:

I think you can probably figure out that there is no "room" for NEC's or NECO's here. There is a community of them over at www.cougarnuts.com.

Personally, I do not care for the styling of the NEC, but I can see where it was necessary for Ford to design models like the NEC and Focus. It opened up a market for Ford where they had no product to sell before.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just stating that I didnt see much about the 99-02, and was just curious. I have a 97 Tbird LX. I had a probe before it. I miss my probe, Probes are still my Favorite car, but I love my Tbird ALOT

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
actually my buddy had an 89 or 91 probe and we couldnt kill that thing. we pulled it in my mom's garage a fewe yeras ago till the rear tires were just at the lip of the floor. put the murf on and floored it. spun around 40 mph and smoke filled the garage. :rolleyes: we did it for a good minute and afterward the trnny would not shift right. once it cooled it was fine. we also took it down a non-maintaned mountain road and bottomed out a lot! the guages actually quit working but we made it out fine and once again they started working again. the funny thing is the ranger didnt make it so well. he got a flat. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
The new FWD Cougars are a discrace! At least Ford had the decency to keep the XR7 nameplate away from the new Cougars and reserve it for RWD V8 Cougars. I've heard that the ride quality was crap in the new ones, they lacked power, and it was a tight fit. Blah... the MN12s were so much better.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The only crime committed with the FWD cougar was that it lacked power... oh but wait... so did my stock 92' 5.0....

I have no disillusionment with the MN-12 cars, yes I will never sell mine, but they are a dated chassis with limited potential because of weight and other issues.

IMO, the FWD Cougar was a very nice car built of a solid platform, but it should have been called a Capri and cost much less...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
fast Ed N said:
99 - 02 Cougars should not have been called Cougars, the name should have been 'Probe II'.

Naming those cars as a Cougar does injustice to real ones like my 68. :rolleyes:

cheers,
Ed N.
And the bloated underpowered MN-12 isn't an injustice to the Cougar name? My dad thinks anything less than 400 cubic inches doesn't count as a real V-8 and our stock 16 second quartermiles are laughable for a 'performance' car... but, hey at least it isn't FWD... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts