TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the wonderful world of MN12s, I just bought my 95 T-Bird 4.6L last week. The guy I bought it from said a mechanic told him the torque converter was going out, and I just thought I'd ask if this was a common problem. A buddy of mine said not to worry about it unless the transmission starts to give me problems. I noticed a bad symptom today going slow up a hill when the car almost stalled on me. Thanks for any input.

DAVE

·
Registered
615 Posts
the problem in these trannies is the excessive heat they build, which in turn breaks down your tranny fluid. Once the tranny fluid gets burned the Torque Converter gets shudders because of excessive friction, if you do not fix this problem it will eventually damage your transmission.

How to fix it:

If this problem has been persistent for a while then you will need a new TC, just upgrade to the Markviii TC it will give you a performance boost and is relatively inexpensive.

Also drain your tranny completely including the TC and replace it with MERCON V fluid. Also add a transmission cooler to save the life of your Mercon V.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
how much would a shop charge(average, i know it is diff everywhere) to replace a TC...

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Well, yes the TC's are known to be problematic, especially 94-5 ones. However I'd doubt it would make you stall going uphill... usually TC's shudder (feels like rumble strips or train tracks, generally over 35-45mph range). However I disagree about leaving it go until it breaks. If your TC shudders, swap to Mercon V fluid and add a cooler. If this does not help, you need to replace the TC, or it will eventually fail the trans. Not meant to scare you, just giving a heads up.

Smoky, I'd expect say 350 to R&R a trans and swap the TC at an average shop. It really depends on who does the work.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
go find yourself a shop willing to put in a maurder TC do the j-mod slap on a cooler and go to mec v for your car....if you dont want to do any of this work yourself...this will make your 4r70w good quality tranny....and your car will be alot quicker....thats what i would do if i was having tranny problems....stalling on a hill isnt a tranny problem....it wouldnt make the engine just die like that....unless it just seems like the tranny was sliping....but id bet it needs a tune up...id check the quality of the plugs and wires before jumping to massive tranny work....swaping to mec vs about the easyest thing you can do though...and helps

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, Mark VIII or Marauder TC... (is one better than the other, or just cheaper?) Merc V fluid, where to find a decent cooler for cheap? Is that a self install? But honestly, what's a J-mod?

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Most guys use the B&M or Hayden coolers. You can can find 'em at summitracing.com or other online shops or maybe even locally too.
As for the jmod, do a search. It's one of the most talked about thing on the forums. the details are in the tech articles, linked to on the front page of tccoa.com. Read em'.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Samurai said:
Okay, Mark VIII or Marauder TC... (is one better than the other, or just cheaper?) Merc V fluid, where to find a decent cooler for cheap? Is that a self install? But honestly, what's a J-mod?
The Marauder TC is a couple hundred RPMs higher stall than the Mark TC.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Samurai said:
Okay, so, J-mod, would that be Jerry's mods in the Tranny tech articles? Looks like I have some more reading to do...

DAVE
thats correct...now i have to find this jerry guy, he lives around here somewhere, maybe i can get him to help me...lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts