TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 4.6. I've beern looking at differant parts that are available. most are listed for Mustangs 96-04. My question is Is there a diference between a 95 block and a 96 or did the mustang first get the 4.6 im 96

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Not sure of the differences between the Mustang and 'Bird motors, but I do know that the 'Stang did not get the 4.6 until 96. Mustang parts can be made to fit, but may require some fab work to get them to work w/ your cars setup.

Jay

·
Super Moderator
10,416 Posts
Amazingly, Mustangs have more room under the hood...

Exhausts won't necessarily fit, or most intakes, without mods.

A lot of things will swap; you just have to research it.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
exactly as these guys said.....the GT got the 16Valve SOHC 4.6 from 96-04, which is why you see a lot of parts specified for 96-04....Tbirds/Cougars got it starting in 1994, but the intake and heads are slightly different

so yea most exhaust stuff wont work, but most engine/intake stuff can be made to work if you're willing and able to custom fabriate stuff along the way

·
Registered
367 Posts
most stuff is interchangable, pistons, rods, crankshaft are the same waterpump, coil packs. the intake designs were changed in 99. the blocks were basically the same, except for 93-98 mark 8 motors and 96- 98 cobras aluminum block . this block was cast in italy by teksid. windsor made an aluminum block in 2001 for 2 vavlers more blocks out there didn't list all. there is a difference in main bearings from a windsor motor to a romeo motor. different sizes.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
the block itself is different if your looking to buy bearings.

the heads are different your better off buying a set of 96-98 heads or 99+ heads.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks greenbird. The heads were my biggest concern. Also I like the way the Egr is on the top of the motor for 96. I do wnat to make the top half a 96

·
Registered
903 Posts
thanks greenbird. The heads were my biggest concern. Also I like the way the Egr is on the top of the motor for 96. I do wnat to make the top half a 96
Before diving into a headswap, you should check out a PI (Power Improved) motor swap. It's very popular to take an engine out of an '02-'04 Explorer due to the aluminum block and drop it into your bird. As far as ease goes, I've seen alot of people say that its no harder to swap the engine as it is to swap heads. I dont think there is much of a price difference either.

Just my thoughts, check around on it and see what you come up with.

Brandon

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is another option I've thought about after joining this forum. I haven't made up my mind yet on what I'm going to do. all though putting a DOHC does sound a little too compicated for me?

·
Super Moderator
10,416 Posts
One question on heads...

My understanding is that any head (sohc or dohc) will bolt on any modular motor block... Is that true?

Also, afaik, there are five heads; Dohc 'B' and 'C', the Sohc Early NPI Romeo, 96-up Romeo, PI Windsor. Any others?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
The are early (99-02) C-heads and late (03-04) C-heads. Also don't forget the FRP 2V and 4V heads as options though they are a bit pricey.

-Miller

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
04+ 3V SOHC heads, and without a doubt the best modular head ever casted, the 2000 Cobra R/Ford GT Supercar 4v head :)

Grog6, physically any modular head will bolt on to any block, but if you try to make a block that was from a 2V setup into a 4V setup, you'll run into some issues....94 Daily Driven had documented these issues in one of his threads.....coolant ports, tensioner bosses, etc.....might wanna do a search if you really want to know more about it

tbird95tbird, your best bet is to seach for "dohc swap" because several people have now already documented their issues with swapping in a mark VIII 32V DOHC 4.6 into their Tbird

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Do a DOHC swap.Forget the bolt on mods

PI motors are worthless.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts