TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going to be running this combo in the summer...is there any way that I can correct the speedometer? Will a speedcal work on the M5R2? Or will I need to buy an aftermarket adjustable speedo?

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
The M5R2 has the below gearing and as you can see a 3.75 first gear. 4.10s in the rear will make fist gear completely useless. Even the 3.55 rear gearing is about max even for the track. I am planning this setup... M5R2 3.08 rear and 26" tires and shifting at 5800 RPMs. With a 5.0 and this combo is right for my setup. The M5R2 has a very steep 1st gear and I want to be able to take advantage of it.

3.75 2.32 1.43 1.00 0.75

Mark

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Mark M. TCCoA VP said:
The M5R2 has the below gearing and as you can see a 3.75 first gear. 4.10s in the rear will make fist gear completely useless.
I Find with 3.27's 1st is rather worthless.. GREAT if you're trying to get going up a rather steepish Hill.. but pointless using it if you're on the flats.. slight grade (going up or down<specially>)

Also it hasn't been proven how it was done yet?? but one can convert a 4.6L M5R2 truck tranny to be Tailshaft shifted tranny VIA superoupe Parts..

But yes.. that 3.75 1st is a Killer.. Great in a truck when you have a 4 wheel drive and want to pull out the stump in your backyard... :D

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Some of the F-150 trucks with the M5R2 were equipped with a 7 tooth speedo drive gear, Ford p.n. E7TZ 17285 A. Starting with that, you can then gt pretty close with an off the shelf driven gear. Using the calculator over on SCCoA, you would need a 21.8 tooth driven gear with a stock height tire. Ford sells the driven gears up to 21 teeth.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that the M5R2 won't bolt up to the 4.6, but I'm not staying with that engine. I'm going to be getting a 90 SC 5-speed parts car soon, so I guess I'll just use the 3.08 trac lok off of that in my car, and sell the 4.10 pumpkin on here to someone with the 4R70W .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts