1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
I've got Silla radiators in both the Thunderbird and Cougar - no issues in either after about 2 years. Not that one specifically, the OE style with plastic tanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
I have a Silla with the plastic tanks in my car too. So far it's running great temp-wise.

As to the electric fan - step 1 is to replace the alternator with a beefier 3G alternator, which requires a bracket extension and a longer belt. I'd do that FIRST, then use a Mark VIII factory fan on it.

RwP

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Plastic tanks suck.

Solid aluminum 2003 Cobra radiator FTW! :D

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
Plastic tanks suck.

Solid aluminum 2003 Cobra radiator FTW! :D
I'll agree, Netkeym - however, at the time, I was getting the car running and just didn't have the bucks for a all-metal radiator.

It's on the list for a second pass, though. :cool:

RwP

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I'll agree, Netkeym - however, at the time, I was getting the car running and just didn't have the bucks for a all-metal radiator.

It's on the list for a second pass, though. :cool:

RwP
They have brand new ones for the same price you'll pay as a stock radiator on ebay. I've never bought one, so I can't speak from experience - I've only seen them for sale.

I bought my 2003 Cobra radiator off car-part used for $100 and I would NEVER recommend a stock radiator again.

·
Super Moderator
10,571 Posts
While you guys are talking cobra radiators, how did you do the top mounts?

Do you have pix of the stock top brackets anywhere?

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
I've looked into buying a Griffin radiator before (I don't think they make one for an MN-12 anymore) and I recall the price being higher than this: http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/1989_1992_thunderbird/performance/radiator/radiators/silla/sila00001417.html

Have any of you used the Silla radiator linked? If so, will it work well in my Cougar?

Also, who makes a good electric fan kit for a decent price?
If that picture is correct, that looks like a radiator for a 3.8L SC.

While you guys are talking cobra radiators, how did you do the top mounts?

Do you have pix of the stock top brackets anywhere?
IIRC, I had to cut/flip/weld one bracket, and the other bolted right on. I posted some pics in this thread: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=111129

·
Super Moderator
10,571 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's the pro's and con's of the Stilla (I linked) vs the Cobra?

·
Super Moderator
10,571 Posts
Your radiator you posted is for a 5.0, and it actually fits, mostly. :)

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Here is a couple pics of my Cobra radiator installed (sorry the camera sucked). I used wire ties to strap the original radiator to it and it's been like that for over 4 years without an issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts