TCCoA Forums banner

Is there something special about a 95 egr valve???

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  lightevergreenfrost 
#1 ·
My cars check engine light came on last night so I went to work and had the codes scanned? P1407 "exaust gas recirc...No flow detected". This means that the egr valve is clogged (correct?) I went to price a new one and my store did not have one for a 95 in the computer, but did for the 94 and 96+. Is there a difference in the valve on the 95. I have not really had time to get back to work to see if I can even get it.

BTW: I tapped it a couple of times and reconnected the battery and the light is no longer on.

#2 ·
94 and 95 are the same.

#3 ·
lightevergreenfrost said:
.....P1407 "exaust gas recirc...No flow detected". This means that the egr valve is clogged (correct?).....
In part, you are correct, though there are other possible causes.

HE70 DTCs P1407 AND P0401: RUN KOER SELF-TEST
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1407 indicates that Continuous Self-Test has detected no EGR flow.

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0401 indicates that Continuous Self-Test has detected insufficient EGR flow.

Possible causes:

EGR valve stuck closed or iced.
EGR valve diaphragm leaks.
EGR valve or flow path restricted.
EGR vacuum hose off, plugged or leaks.
EVR VPWR circuit open.
EVR circuit to PCM open.
EVR circuit to PCM shorted to PWR.
DPFE sensor pressure hoses both off.
DPFE sensor pressure hoses reversed.
DPFE sensor VREF circuit open.
Downstream pressure hose off.
Downstream pressure hose plugged.
Damaged orifice tube assembly.
Damaged EVR solenoid.
Damaged DPFE sensor.
Damaged PCM.

My experience when I encountered the P1407 code: I replaced the valve, and also did the EGR channel cleaning described in this article.

#4 ·
I have the same code. Just havent felt like ripping the EGR off yet. I wonder if when you get to those 2 gaps and clean them, if you dremel them out a little wider or deeper, would this help alleviate the clogging issue, or would it just piss off the ECM and throw another EGR-related code?

#5 ·
FordMan77 said:
I have the same code. Just havent felt like ripping the EGR off yet. I wonder if when you get to those 2 gaps and clean them, if you dremel them out a little wider or deeper, would this help alleviate the clogging issue, or would it just piss off the ECM and throw another EGR-related code?
Don't know if it's worth it or not, but I was gonna buy a new egr at autozone and they offered a kit to supposedly stop the clogging. The kit had a screen for the tube and a screen incorporated at the gasket.

Rob

#6 ·
Well, the light stayed off most of the day today until tonight. It is back on (assuming that is for the same reason). A new egr valve is only $55 from work before my 20% discount. I am gonna take the intake apart as decribed in that article and see where it is clogged in hopes that it is not the valve. I don't want to replace something that does not need replacing.

BTW: I don't see how a screen would do anything. You would prob have to clean it. A screen will get clogged won't it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.