TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my tires are wearing BAD but on both the inside and outside at the same time. So bad that the steel is worn through. The center of the tire looks fine though. What does this sound like to you guys? The steering wheel shakes pretty good at high speeds, (Which I thought was warped rotors). This has also happened pretty fast, I would say within the last month or so.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
First check your tire pressure, since that is the most normal cause of tires wearing on both sides. If your tire pressure is good, then most likely it's time for a complete suspension rebuild, since apparantly your camber is changing all the time.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a suspension rebuild kit that I can buy? What is the best one?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Well, you'll have to buy the control arms from somewhere seperately, I got Moog's from O'Reilly's. Shocks are your choice, but the best ones for the money are Ford Sport fronts/LX rears from Dan Newman. Springs again are your choice. For the bushings, you can get the complete front end bushing kit from www.mn12performance.com or www.supercoupeperformance.com

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there any special tools or anything I need to be aware of before attempting a rebuild of this sort. I have never done any work on suspensions before....

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Well, an 18mm ratcheting wrench makes the upper control arms a lot easier. You'll need a couple BIG sockets or wrenches that most people don't have in their toolboxes. 24mm socket for the rear strut rod bolt, and 30mm for the front. You'll need a balljoint "pickle" fork to get the lower ball joint loose from the spindle. When it comes time to put the springs on the front shocks, take them to a shop that has a wall-mounted spring compressor, and have them put on for you. A front end alignment will be a necessity after replacing all the front end components.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts