TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I decided to change the fluid in my tranny. I rebuilt this tranny with the help of the fine folks on this forum (its an AODE/94 mustang gt) over a year and 35K+ miles ago. With 35K+ miles I figured its time for a fluid change.

Tranny has never given me ANY trouble since finishing up the rebuild. It works perfectly. Has a mild J-mod and upgraded internals (still keeping the same AODE ratio).

Fluid looks damn near new, there is very little material on the magnet, but I found a blue o-ring on the pan. It was broke into a "C" shape.

The only blue O-rings I recall seeing when I rebuilt this tranny was around the new pressure regulator. I haven't pulled it yet, but I suspect that is where it came from.

Any idea how it happened and is it anything to worry about (so long as I replace it)?

Thanks!

-Alan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Dirty Dog! Its been a long time!

Anyway, I'm not sure if its rubber or teflon. But I am almost certain it is the sealing ring that goes around the pressure regulator. Its the perfect size, and is the only blue one I can remember.

I'm about to pull the regulator now...

If your worried about it being the direct drum teflon sealing rings...its definately not that.

-Alan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It was the pressure regulator sealing rings. Now that I got it out, both were blown out.

Odd, it didn't change the shift quality, and I detected no slippage what-so-ever, but I wonder how they got blown apart like that?

-Edit-

Well, now I am in a pickle. The only O-rings I have /can get are the generic "assortment". I have the right diameters, but they are too thick. I tried, but no matter how hard I push I cannot get the regulator back in with the thick o-rings.

Now I know I can get the exact size from the local hardware store (made for faucet repair), but are they the same thing or are they made of some other material? Silly, but I do not know if an o ring is an o ring or if they are made of different materials to withstand the additonal heat/submersion in a petrolium product?

2nd thing-I cannot find the missing parts of those o rings. Do I drop the VB or is it okay to leave it be? I do not have another VB gasket.

All this was supposed to be was just a fluid change LOL.

-Alan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, epc...

(I thought it stood for Electronic Pressure Control) :confused:

Anyway...not sure what I am going to do....can I use the ones from a hardware store, or will the tranny fluid just eat them up?

-Alan

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
NAPA has a Viton assortment - I would think those would do.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I have spare seals if you need some, I can drop them in the mail monday. I always buy new solenoids which have new o-rings on them and the kits come with o-rings as well.
Alan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the offer DD. I will let you know. I'll try a few more stores today. Come to find out my automotive o ring kit is "standard". Doing some google searching, looks like they also sell a "metric" o ring kit as well. Maybe that will have what I need.

Sooo, should I drop the VB to search for the missing pieces of o ring...or leave it be?

-Alan

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
If there are pieces you cannot find you better drop it before it hangs a valve and burns up the transmission. I would cut the filter open and look in it first.
I would think the pressure would blow it out.
Alan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts