TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came off (literally in my hands) my 1991 SC that has 190,000 miles when the head gaskets blew and necessitated an engine replacement.

At least it didn't come off while I was driving. Although I don't know why it didn't. BHJ here I come.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I know how that feels!
I spent way too long trying to find the source of an <1000 rpm miss
that turned out to be "damper in three easy pieces", just like yours.
Well, at least replacing it is easy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Jimmy 2Coupes said:
:eek: That's scarry. Was your bolt still there and in one piece?
Yep, the bolt was and is still there. the outer ring and rubber center was all that came off. Good thing my friend decided to remove the pulley so we could have a little more room when the motor and tranny come out.
The BHJ damper was always on my SCP "must order" list anyway.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I feel your pain. My stock balancer just got replaced with a BHJ and man did I dodge a bullet too! Basically my balancer was being held on by my belt and that was it :ztoohot: ....The 2 inch bolt was a meer 1/2 inch nub in the crank...thank god its taken care of now!

Oh, replace your crank sensor while at it too...they go hand in hand when you put the new unit on.

-Tim

·
Registered
724 Posts
And as always, remember that the stock pulley is NOT zero balanced so you have to go with underdrives or have it balanced to zero.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
soop said:
When do these things usually need to be repaced? I have approx 120,000 mi on the engine and don't know if the previous owner replaced it. Not likely though, as the serpentine belt has never been replaced.
My 91 5-speed SC had 190,000 miles on it when the head gasket when. That is why I am pulling the motor. The black stuff in my hand is supose to be rubber but felt more like a very brittle plastic. Which to me means that it has been heated up far past the temperature the material was intended for, or in other words the outer ring was slipping for some time.
So to directly answer your question I would check to make sure the outer ring isn't seperating from the rubber now.

Originally posted by 93SC
And as always, remember that the stock pulley is NOT zero balanced so you have to go with underdrives or have it balanced to zero.
93SC, I'm definatly going to get the stock pulley rebalanced. I was thinking of taking the balancer down and getting it check for balance at the same time and possibly being anal about it and having them balanced together.
Good Idea?
Bad Idea?
Anal retentive and a waste of money?

·
Registered
935 Posts
First off get a new balancer...I think you can find them on Fordparts.com for 189.00 or something and it comes with a pulley...its a sold pair.

The only reason you would need the ASP pulleys are if you go with the BHJ setup.

As for the life span on the balancer its a crap shoot...can't really give a set time to expect one to fail...just like anything eles.

-Tim

·
Registered
627 Posts
Damn... never saw that happen before....

Glad everthing is cool... I can imagine what would have happened if it had come apart on the road.

·
Registered
724 Posts
RichM said:

93SC, I'm definatly going to get the stock pulley rebalanced. I was thinking of taking the balancer down and getting it check for balance at the same time and possibly being anal about it and having them balanced together.
Good Idea?
Bad Idea?
Anal retentive and a waste of money?
Getting the new balancer checked isn't a bad idea if your going to get the pulley rebalanced. However I would shy away from having them balanced as a unit. My reasoning is that if they are balanced together then anytime you would want to take the pulley off (for whatever reason) you have to make sure that you put it back on exactly they way it came off. Also if you decide to go with underdrives in the future you would then need to have your balancer rebalanced. I think in hte long run it's cheaper and less hassle to have them zeroed out seperatly.

BTW, the bolt is 14x1.5. Took me awhile to figure that out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
93SC,
Bill said he has the bolt for the balancer and will send one along with the BHJ. I think it has a washer also that I ask for him to send along too, better safe than sorry.

Now I need to get off my *** and get that pulley to a machine shop.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My reasoning is that if they are balanced together then anytime you would want to take the pulley off (for whatever reason) you have to make sure that you put it back on exactly they way it came off.

Actually the pulley will only bolt onto balancer one way. The four holes in the pulley/balancer are offset in such a way that all four holes only line up in one posistion.

That being said, it is possible to force the pulley on in the wrong posistion. When I installed the ASP underdrive crank pulley on my 95 SC I actually did that but felt something wasn't right because I shouldn't have had to force the holes to line up like I did. I took it back off, compared it with the stock pulley and realized the holes were offset. Duh:rolleyes: I put it back on the RIGHT way and it went on with ease. Glad I got it right before starting the car. ;)

·
Registered
724 Posts
RichM said:
93SC,
Bill said he has the bolt for the balancer and will send one along with the BHJ. I think it has a washer also that I ask for him to send along too, better safe than sorry.
Just when you go to install it. When I put mine on, I used to other bolts that were longer to get the balancer on with the thrust bearing that I had. It just took a few trips to a few stores to find the right bolt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
would the harmonic balancer cause a rough idle? or is it the cam sensor? i was wondering because my car has 95,000 miles on it and started a rough idle not too long ago!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RichM said:
93SC,

Now I need to get off my *** and get that pulley to a machine shop.
Joy, the machine shops in town won't touch it. They want to balance the whole rotating assembly (crank, rods, pistons, flywheel, balancer, pulley, anything else I missed). Since that would void the ford longblock warrantee, I have decided to get the original motor rebuild. Which has opened up an entirely different can of worms. Maybe, in three years I will be able to enjoy my car again... if I'm not dead and broke.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts