TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I broke my drivers side motor mount, and figured that I'd buy a set soon, and maybe the trans mount also if I'm feeling rich. I did a few searches and figure it goes something like this:

- Turn radio on, so you can listen to music while you do this

- Open hood, jack motor up a bit with block of wood under oil pan

- Take front wheels off, and there is supposed to be a hole in inner fender so you can use an extension to get at the bolts? ( If not I'll friggin MAKE a hole.)

Is this gonna work, or should I do it another way? Thanks a bunch! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Um, I went to Discount/Advance Auto and they are showing 2 different mounts available for the drivers side of the 4.6L MN12. I'd buy both and return the one that didn't fit, but I'm near-broke right now so I was wondering if anyone has a part number/picture of the drivers side mount???

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
I didnt know there were holes in the inner fender :confused: I guess I did it the hard way. You will need to jack up the engine like you described though.

You can see pics of the 4.6 mounts here. I order a set those with the intention of installing them on both sides. The pass side was to much of a pain at the time and the drivers side was the only one I needed to replace. I still have the one I didnt use, its brand new, $45 shipped if you want it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The most of expensive one is probably the correct one, since the solid (cheaper) mount they list is wrong. I would advise against making holes in the side as this is a unibody car and that piece of metal is what keeps your front end from buckleing when you take a hard corner. There are access holes, but they don't do much. You have to remove the splashguard to see them.

You will need a good set of extensions, U-joint, and Swivel extensions. AND LOTS OF BEER.

My TIPS:

#1, take off the Oil filter and PS pump, it's not hard. Don't remove lines just the 4 bolts and let is fall down on the K-member.

#2, heads-up - there is a ground strap on one of the motor mount studs on the block. If you followed #1, the nut to remove it can be easily gotten to from the front with a std socket wrench. After that nut is off and the strap is off, then remove that stud, it holds the mount on. The other 2 are normal bolts.

#3 Again, if you followed #1, The bolt that goes through the k member on the bottom of the mount can be removed very easily with a 1'-1.5' extension from the front odf the engine running parallel to the crankshaft. With the PS pump off you should be able to see it easily.

#4, It's still a pain, so be patient.

#5 Use Blue Loctite on the bolts when you reinstall them.

I'd recomend getting a ford one, you don't want to be doing it again anytime soon. The aftermarket mounts I've seen from the chains are inferior.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Now I'll add some tips.

Put the car on a lift, drain your oil from the pan, use a tranny jack to jack up the motor, remove the oil filter but leave the pump, get the bolts off from underneath getting help from the jack. Pull the mount out the same way you would your filter and replace.

Took 45 minutes tops. :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
Now I'll add some tips.

Put the car on a lift, drain your oil from the pan, use a tranny jack to jack up the motor, remove the oil filter but leave the pump, get the bolts off from underneath getting help from the jack. Pull the mount out the same way you would your filter and replace.

Took 45 minutes tops. :D
yeah, but if he's like me and without a lift, my way is easier when having to do stuff from the top/bottom and with limited bottom access.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Thanks for these tips, folks. After dropping the gas tank and fighting seized bolts along the way, this sounds rather straightforward....something I'll consider tackling this summer.

:zbeer:

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can <i>probably </i>get some time on a lift at my tech school, but if not I will do it in my driveway with a friend or two...thanks for the tips!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts