TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just looking for brake horsepower. I am not considering drive train losses. I am trying to put this car in a game that simulates drive train losses. I just want raw data from the beginning. I want to make this car as realistic as possible from a performance perspective first.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Its as accurate as youll get for a bone stock NPI 4.6 because no one dynos them stock.

Even "stock" dynos use headers, ditch the accessories and manipulate the tune to make more power.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Nobody uses brake HP .. Its all SAE unless you need to simulate the parasitic loss of your accessories.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,555 Posts
Its as accurate as youll get for a bone stock NPI 4.6 because no one dynos them stock.

Even "stock" dynos use headers, ditch the accessories and manipulate the tune to make more power.
Thats how manufacturers did it prior to 1972, effectively rating “the engine”, but the OEMs did start using full exhausts and accessory systems thereafter for SAE net. (That’s actually more responsible for the “loss” of power in the 70s than emissions equipment and the switch unleaded fuel around the same time)

Magazines never dropped gross because it’s easier to sell speed parts if they show a small block Chevy making big horsepower with bolt ons

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well this makes it more difficult for me. I did some research and found that the game does use bhp. They have cars from the 60's to today. They do simulate drivetrain loss but apparently the number they use from marketing is meaningless. That makes it not even matter. I guess I will have to throw numbers at it until I get the whp number I want.

What is the stock whp of a 1996 Thunderbird V8 anyway? I need the whole graph, not just one number. And I also know that these cars are not made in a vacuum so I know there are differences. I have tried looking at google maps but like Wile said it seems no one dynos them stock. I guess I will have to dyno mine once it is running again. I would like to see what I make at the rear anyway before any modifications. But there is 122,000 miles on it and I want the car to act like it just came off the show room floor like all of the others.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,001 Posts
Take a peek...

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,555 Posts
Well this makes it more difficult for me. I did some research and found that the game does use bhp. They have cars from the 60's to today. They do simulate drivetrain loss but apparently the number they use from marketing is meaningless. That makes it not even matter. I guess I will have to throw numbers at it until I get the whp number I want.

What is the stock whp of a 1996 Thunderbird V8 anyway? I need the whole graph, not just one number. And I also know that these cars are not made in a vacuum so I know there are differences. I have tried looking at google maps but like Wile said it seems no one dynos them stock. I guess I will have to dyno mine once it is running again. I would like to see what I make at the rear anyway before any modifications. But there is 122,000 miles on it and I want the car to act like it just came off the show room floor like all of the others.
I don’t have any graphs handy but 160ish rwhp is pretty typical. Bear in mind numbers from a graph will vary depending on the type of dyno it’s tested on, Mustang dynos tend to put out lower numbers, dynojets higher(or maybe the other way around?). There are tons of variables

·
Super Moderator
11,061 Posts
There was a test drive or need for speed that included the Tbird in the 90's; Im not sure which game it was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts