TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Kinda looks like one, but the story just doesnt ring true... looks like its been mistreated in storage.... I wouldnt mess with that ....

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Well I can tell you right off it's not aluminum. I personally am suspicious of the story. Don't most people test drive a vehicle before paying 45k for it? I sure would. Sounds like someone screwed up trying to build the motor and they are now trying to sell it as if it were new.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it is rumored that all 5.4's are aluminum. That may have changed, I don't know. I'm trying to find out.

I sent an e-mail asking the seller, if he tries to push it off as aluminum, I'll raise hell.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
okay so it's not just me wondering why it was expected to be aluminum I thought allthe 5.4's were cast iron but I really don't know much about them.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
mylittleblackbird said:
it is rumored that all 5.4's are aluminum. That may have changed, I don't know. I'm trying to find out.

I sent an e-mail asking the seller, if he tries to push it off as aluminum, I'll raise hell.
Heck no, not all 5.4 engines are aluminum. Your standard F-150 has an iron block, no question about it. I want to say that even the Navigators have iron blocks....they only 5.4L Aluminum block that I can think of if the Navis are in fact iron would be the Ford GT .

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I have a 99 Navigator 5.4 DOHC motor for a project. The block on it, and all the other production truck 5.4 motors, is cast iron.

Palmguy is correct, the only aluminium block 5.4 is in the new Ford GT.

cheers,
Ed N.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I'm not buying the BS - there's no way he screwed up a piston like that without actually firing the engine up. If all he did (as he claims) is turn the engine over by hand, that piston would still look okay. I'm not sure I buy the idea that the engine was mistimed by Ford either.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
You couldn't apply enough force turning it by hand to damage a piston like that either. I don't think you'd be able to break a valve off by hand either. They may not be real strong, but they are stronger than that.

I thought the Navi engine was Aluminum. I thought I read somewhere (this was before the 02 Explorer) that all SOHC's were iron and all DOHC's were Aluminum. wasn't the Cobra R 5.4L Aluminum?

Edit: Well, if I really did read that, it was wrong.
http://www.lincoln.com/vehicles/navigator/Drivetrain.asp

·
Registered
364 Posts
fast Ed N said:

Palmguy is correct, the only aluminium block 5.4 is in the new Ford GT.

cheers,
Ed N.
Wow so the block is out of a Ford GT!!!

I'm going to bid right now!!!

hahaha:D

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:

I thought the Navi engine was Aluminum. I thought I read somewhere (this was before the 02 Explorer) that all SOHC's were iron and all DOHC's were Aluminum. wasn't the Cobra R 5.4L Aluminum?

Edit: Well, if I really did read that, it was wrong.
http://www.lincoln.com/vehicles/navigator/Drivetrain.asp
That was only as far as the 4.6 is concerned. The 5.4 blocks are all cast iron except for the GT. Just looked up a price on the GT block, Canuckistan wholesale is $3775 !! :eek:

cheers,
Ed N.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
So the R blocks were Iron too?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts