TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cam I have is from Crower (if case you are wondering)

I have PI heads and stock 96 TBird bottom end. Does anyone know if this is too much lift for TBird pistons?

Intake Lift: .560
Exhaust Lift: .571

Based on rocker arm ratio of 1.80 In and 1.80 Out.

Thanks,
Big-Al

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
WOW! you had better have some really good valve springs...I would worry about crunching one, and also wouldnt run the RPMs too high till I had one of the new generation spring sets in it.... JL doesnt even like the 0.550 lift of stock PI cams and he has a screamer...also, I believe the exact ratio is 1.81, but as usual I could be wrong...You could have clearance issues with valve float also, But I am not sure about that....good luck, and how does it idle?

·
Registered
337 Posts
think thats bad.....I saw some crower cams that lifted .612 int and .612 exh and 288 degrees. Thats totally crazy!!

-Derrick-

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Sounds perfectly sane for a purpose built race car, set up by a really knowledgable wrench., but to try drive on the street, totally crazy!....go figure

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Comp springs and titanium retainers ;)

I have not put the cams in yet, I thought I would ask about the clearance first in case I had to make some...other modifications. These cams were in a newer GT mustang but they come with more dish than the TBird pistons which is the bases of my concern.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well, you can allways test fit them, and check the projection beyond the chamber proper, might just indicate what you could be up against,& you have a fighting chance with the springs, as they seem to do wonderous things in the area of float , rebound, and not breaking.... I am only pushing 0.50 lift wirh comp 268's and NPI heads so I'm small potatoes, with a really good Idle abit less peak tq, but awfully high average tq, but will allways wonder what the 274 duration would have been like.... hmmm?

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
By the way, Approximate spring pressure is:

Open: 225/240 lbs.
Closed: 075/ 085 lbs.

Also, with that much duration, will I have any braking power?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts