TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SC has what I would call a lot of blow by, however when I took it to a mechanic (yes is knows and understands SC's, being he has two himself) and he told me not to worry, the way the car has been set up, its going to appear that way and that what I was seeing is NOT actual blow by, and if I set the car back up to the factory set up I would never see it :confused:. 92 SC and runs like a cat that been turpentined.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what are you thinking is blow by? what are you seeing?
Well I'm old school, 350's 396's, 427's, 454's, 351M's 351W's and 302's and back in the day when a little oil smoke was coming out of the vale cover oil hole, it was blow by. Now I'm not a SAE mechanic but I have put an engine or two together and it looks like blow by to me. So I'm asking, is what he told me true, and do I just need to get a book on SC engines to learn the nuances of them?

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
It depends how much vapor you are seeing there, but some is normal. Are you burning oil or losing compression/power? If not, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It depends how much vapor you are seeing there, but some is normal. Are you burning oil or losing compression/power? If not, don't worry about it.
It seems to have a lot of power and the oil appears to be at the correct level inbetween oil changes. It doesn't seem to be losing oil, is what I'm treing to say. It just looks like a lot of blow by. IMO.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
Well its hard to say without seeing the car, but look at it this way. If it is blowby, the solution is a complete engine rebuild. If the car runs well, has plenty of power, and is not using oil or making any weird noises, then there's no reason to go through all that work.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that's what I wanted to know. I was looking for a second opinion and I appear to have one now. Thanks. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
No problem. Enjoy the SC!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts