TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://montgomery.craigslist.org/cto/4027730315.html

1998 Lincoln Mark VIII - $1200 (troy al )

I have a 1998 mark vlll coupe its a great car very fast and very comfortable... the car has 205,000 miles...the converters are stopped up not completly but enough for it to run ragged im willing to deal $1200 obo txt or call ***-***-****
Is this worth having any interest in? I eventually want to have a 98 LSC, and was curious if this was worth making an offer on. What do you guys think? I texted the owner about the 'minor engine problems'. I also confirmed that it's an LSC.

It's a LSC and its got a little shake to it when u accelerate it hasnt been doing it long
I found out that the converters are stopped up on the car that was the issue i mentioned.
It's a couple hour drive to go and look at it, so it would have to be way cheap. I would probably trailer it back if I got it. What's you guys' thoughts?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Throw new cats in it and do other maintenance that probably hasn't been done in a while.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Why not. If you're in the market for one anyway then pull the trigger, replace the cats and as mentioned previously, do regular maintenance. Look at the airbags and check the computer for codes. having it bog could be other things besides a cat, so don't just take the owners word for it.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't go get it, I might, lol.
Whoa now. Lol :tongue:

Why not. If you're in the market for one anyway then pull the trigger, replace the cats and as mentioned previously, do regular maintenance. Look at the airbags and check the computer for codes. having it bog could be other things besides a cat, so don't just take the owners word for it.
I'm not particularly 'in the market' for one. It's a car I'd like to have though. From the pics the airbags look like they hold, although I'd swap springs in anyways. The bold part in the quote is precisely why I thought it better to run it by you guys.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Whoa now. Lol :tongue:

I'm not particularly 'in the market' for one. It's a car I'd like to have though. From the pics the airbags look like they hold, although I'd swap springs in anyways. The bold part in the quote is precisely why I thought it better to run it by you guys.
Which is why I said check the computer for codes, and I would even do a compression test. I'm not sure of how hard it is with the DOHC, but with a SOHC its an hour tops, and if the owner isn't hiding anything, I'm sure he wouldn't mind. Take it from someone (me) who's been burned by the old "it just needs spark plugs, coils, cats, etc..." I'm on engine 4 in my car. If I had someone telling me to do a compression test, I would have, and I'd also have a different bird. Live and learn, but learn from other people's mistakes too.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep in mind the car is 2+ hours away. I don't want to go up there to diagnose someone's car. If I make the trip I will be coming home with it, barring anything crazy. I'm waiting to hear back about more pics, maintenance done, and of course his best price. The latter will either make or break. I'm cheap :)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Keep in mind the car is 2+ hours away. I don't want to go up there to diagnose someone's car. If I make the trip I will be coming home with it, barring anything crazy. I'm waiting to hear back about more pics, maintenance done, and of course his best price. The latter will either make or break. I'm cheap :)
Makes sense, but if that diagnosis will save me an engine, I'd do it. My car was about 2 hours away when I bought it. Drove it 80+ miles in traffic, on the highway, over bridges and through tunnels with no compression on 2 cylinders and low compression on another. It was a drive filled with "what did I just buy".

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Makes sense, but if that diagnosis will save me an engine, I'd do it. My car was about 2 hours away when I bought it. Drove it 80+ miles in traffic, on the highway, over bridges and through tunnels with no compression on 2 cylinders and low compression on another. It was a drive filled with "what did I just buy".
Understood. I have a compression tester, but zero knowledge of this engine. I imagine it's way more fun to work on than my 3.8 :rolleyes: If I decide to go ahead with it, I'll have him get the codes ran.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Understood. I have a compression tester, but zero knowledge of this engine. I imagine it's way more fun to work on than my 3.8 :rolleyes: If I decide to go ahead with it, I'll have him get the codes ran.
I think they're all COP but I think they have coil covers too. Probably 2 or 3 bolts for the cover and 1 for the coil, then the spark plug. I've only seen the DOHC in junkyards and never worked on one so my knowledge is limited.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I think they're all COP but I think they have coil covers too. Probably 2 or 3 bolts for the cover and 1 for the coil, then the spark plug. I've only seen the DOHC in junkyards and never worked on one so my knowledge is limited.
The 97/98 Mark has COP .. the 93-96 used spark plug wires and coil packs. Very similar to the 4.6 SOHC though, pull off the covers and the coil's / plugs are right there on the top of the engine, very easy to do diagnostics like compression test. The 4.6 tends to be less problematic than the 3.8, so thats a big plus.

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time on a compression test; unless you hear broken rings jangling, that's a rare issue with these cars.

Very likely, the "stopped up converter" is one or both of the IMRCs stuck; there should be a code for that.

I'd expect evap, o2, maf, and imrc codes for sure; but that's a can of seafoam, some vacuum hose, two o2 sensors, and a pcv valve. :)

Worst case, you have to take the intake off to clean the IMRcs, and those are the phenolic ones, which is nice.

I'd check the codes, hear it run, talk the guy down on everything you can, and go for it. :thumbsup:

Unless it's wasted inside, or knocks, it will be like any other mn12 at 200k; bushings, wheel bearings, ball joints...

If you fix what's wrong with it, it will scream. If it's screwed, rip the engine out and put it in your mn12, and part the rest. :)

If it's caked full of dino oil, I'd pass; dohcs are sensitive to upper engine oiling.

The one I tore down, the upper galleries were half full of crud; the bearing surfaces look good, but I'm glad I got all that crap out of it.

I paid 500 for a 98 mark motor; you get a driving one for ~2x... :D

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The guy ignored my request to get the codes ran, never even replied. The car was relisted today. I'm out on this one.

GM, she's all you bud ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts