TCCoA Forums banner

Is your Thunderbird or Cougar your beater?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I notice as time passes by..With more, and more new members joining TCCoA..

It seems there is quite a few members that daily drive their Thunderbird or Cougar with no intentions of taking care of it aesthetically..

Just as a means of transportation..No interest in the car otherwise as far as modding it, or even preserving it in some capacity..

In other words..Using it as a beater.. :(

So..Without further ado..

What is your Thunderbird or Cougar to you?

Rayo..

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
If I could answer all of the above, I would.

89 Cougar is the beater, I would drive it when working on other cars, if it wasn't down for head gaskets
97 Cougar is the basket case, wrecked and bought back, gathering parts and need to take a trip to someone with a frame machine
97 Mark VIII, pretty rough when picked up, worked on then hit, but still my daily driver

·
Registered
202 Posts
Daily driven, uniquely modified, irrationally adored, grocery getter.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,363 Posts
Even if I had a beater, I couldn't treat it like a beater. The Cougar was as close to a beater as I would ever have gotten, but even then - it was still a DD that I would maintain and care for just like any other car. The only part I neglected because it was already too fargone was the paint.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Summer toy, this year I think I've driven it maybe 3 times. But I got a new project on the go, so T-bird is basically just in storage for the time being.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
The majority of MN12s/FN10s are beaters. I'm not talking about online forums. I'm talking about all the ones on the road. 3/4s of them need camber adjustment that should have been taken care of 10 years ago, and airbags that should have been fixed long ago.

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
The majority of MN12s/FN10s are beaters. I'm not talking about online forums. I'm talking about all the ones on the road. 3/4s of them need camber adjustment that should have been taken care of 10 years ago, and airbags that should have been fixed long ago.
... and J-mods.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
1997 DOHC swap bird is a trailer queen/nice weather grand touring car
1995 bird is a soon to be daily driver and while rough will never be a "beater"
1996 sierra k2500 7.4 was my daily soon to be dedicated tow pig
1997 F-150 2wd 4.6 is Amber_Murder's daily driver and previous tow pig

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,760 Posts
Lazarus has a beater body, but it's new underneath. It's the daily driver, now undergoing another transmission update. :)

I like the beater look for it; keeps people from wanting to pull out in front of me, lol.

The other cars are in great shape, and drive like new.

The Red Cougar will need a paintjob soon, it has the standard clearcoat rot.

I have Koni Shocks going on the 1999 Coutour; it should drive really nice after that.

It already has a nice tranny cooler upgrade, and I'm looking into tuning it. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,153 Posts
Daily driver non beater and I plan to keep it that way. Never been a fan of running cars into the ground, even if I hate them(I wouldn't buy a car I'd hate in the first place - a nice luxury of mechanical competence) and I'm also not a fan of relegating the car I REALLY like to a 10 day a year garage queen either. What's the point?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Also none of my cars are garage queens and even my most trashy looking and feeling one that I just picked up I wouldn't call a beater. No rust at all on either birds, no structural rust on either trucks.

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Seriously? You have to ask? :tongue:

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
My car is more or less a daily driver and when I got it I even ordered plates to make it known. Still I keep it in clean and in a well maintained condition and any performance mods are mainly accidental.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
While mine is a slightly warmed-up Daily Driver and has some rust now, I don't consider it a "beater" because I do maintain it and keep it going...and because it is my DD I depend on it 100% This car owes me absolutely nothing, but I'd like to keep it going because I love this car.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts