TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This video is around 1MB and it's worth downloading. I am behind the camera, and it is of my roommate's black 94 Mustang GT Vert. Listen to that crack, we had to get towed home as I didn't drive the Bird.

Tranny GO BOOOOOM!

Sounds like someone needs a new T5. (We think it's probably the input shaft because the driveshaft does not rotate when the car is in gear.) Any thoughts would be helpful. Dropping it tomorrow to find out WTF happened.

·
Registered
166 Posts
wow! That has got to hurt! The 94/95s have a shorter input shaft and are harder to find.:zapyth:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was supposed to get up and help him drop the tranny, but now I do not know where he went. Anywho, he ran a best 13.2 last night. His engine is pretty much all new from the heads up (stock block not touched), and puts out 295 HP and 305-ish TQ to the wheels. What had happened was he did a burn out to race, staged, and then they stopped them from racing to clean up the track. He had to back up burn out again and that's when it happened.

The crowd just went, "Oooooooooooohhhhhh..." It was kind of funny to watch. And then my roommate locked his keys in his car when we wheeled it off the track. So Jake Lamotta had to come over from his car. (If anyone has seen Jake's car, it's ridiculous, Twin Turbo Mod motor, he ran 10 flat easily last night.)

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
JJanney said:
Pulled the tranny, will have pictures soon. It's looking nasty.
Heh...this'll be interesting to see.

Can honestly say I've never heard that sound before...nore do I EVER want to personally hear that sound...heh

·
Registered
488 Posts
(We think it's probably the input shaft because the driveshaft does not rotate when the car is in gear.)

sounds like inards to me

Josh

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

It does not look that bad. If the input shaft is turned, the output shaft does, but if the driveshaft is attached, the tranny cannot turn the driveshaft when the input shaft is rotated. It seems like it cannot take torque anymore.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found a whole lot of metal flakes in the bottom of the tranny. Of course, this chipping has probably been happening for weeks and finally decided to die under a large amount of stress at the track.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If he puts the tranny into gear, there is a huge rubbing metal on metal sound, or there was when the tranny was still in his car... The driveshaft did not rotate at all. So we assume something fails between the input shaft and the output shaft.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The countershaft spins parallel to the main shaft (bottom of gearbox) and it engages each gear as you go thru the gears, it looks OK from the pics.

I think it can be saved if that is all thats wrong. New bearings, seals, synchros and hub. T-5 rebuild kit is $150-250 in MM&FF. Hub is $??????.

Rest doesn't look that bad, maybe there is some hope.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Truthfully, the tranny could probably be saved, but my roommate would rather just pick up a Tremec TKO. If he fixed this T5, odds are he'll just end up busting it again within a few heavy months of driving and track use. His parents also do not care about dropping almost two grand into a tranny...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts