TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was having issues with my pioneer deh 7600 HU giving me a high pitch (ground loop) sound, It's under warranty through bestbuy so I had it sent out 3 weeks ago for the following...
1) loose rca shields
2) randomly cutting out and popping
3)randomly not ejecting cds
4)amp's don't turn off

Got the radio back today they replaced the RCA jack board/rca ports, Re soldierd all point on the radio, replaced the rolloer's on the cd player, and couldn't find the issue of the remote not turning off. Went to put it back in and notice my amps aren't shutting off with the HU so I start to flip out. I took my amp meter hooked it up to the remote wire on the HU and its working normally.

I start to check and double check my wiring and its all right so I decide to disconnect the entire harness from the stock power harness to the radio, and still the apm's(2) are still on. I go to the trunk and disconnect the remote wire to 1 amp and it shuts off imediately. My remote wire is run like a Y connection 1 wire into 2 wires.

Now heres the real kick in the a$$ When I got the car from my friend it already had a system in it that him and his cousin put in. Well I decided I was going to do it my way and ripped out all the old wiring EXCEPT for the remote wire I even ran my own speaker wires to the trunk because I was amping them which they werent before. Now its dark and I have the issue figured out (im pretty sure anyway) so tomorrow I have to see what the hell is causing the remote wire to have power when its CLEARLY no connected to anything on the HU's side.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
the guy who helped me rewire and install my Alpine 9857 referred to the guys at best Buy and I agree - to be "hack jobs at best".

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have seen sooo many hack jobs when it comes to stereos. It’s like people don’t think or care when putting them in. I have bought 2 cars with head units wired directly to the battery through the side of the door. NO idea why people do this, the reg. wires were back there.

My friend who works at Circuit City as the main stereo installer dude said that a guy came in with a newer Lincoln with a six speaker setup. He said there is NO way to keep all 6 speakers and amplify them. I thought he knew his stuff too..

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
yikes... scary what people do. So heres the end result, The remote wire he had in the dash "going to the trunk" made a pit stop in thefuse box which was the issue of the amps coming on with the car. So being as anal as I am about my equipment I decided to rip every thing out again (except the power line) and re do it all in the 30 degree weather lol. I ran my rca's and remote wire down the passanger side this time I also went with my rockfor rcas that were in my explorer when I first did the install back in september. I also used a ground loop Isolater to get rid of ANY alt whine/ground loop sound that would annoy me to no end before.

I mounted my speaker amp and hid all the wires that were just thrown in there last time and looked horrible(will post before and after pics later). I mounted my box finally so it wont keep pulling on my ground cable and slide around my trunk anymore. I mounted it with the back seat out so that If someone trys to steal it they will have to remove the whole back seat to get at the screws because they arent accesable from the front, I used 4 Heavey duty L brackets.

There is only one thing I can't figure out, the sub now makes a low rumble now when the cd player first comes on and is reading the cd but then it sounds normal. I checked the ground and can't figure it out but I guess I will never get it 100% perfect.

·
Super Moderator
11,175 Posts
unplug the rcas and try it...

I'll bet the deck is sourcing the noise as its spinning up...it's a power issue in the deck that I've seen before...never found a way to fix it, tho...

It only happens on the subs for some reason.

:(

·
Registered
141 Posts
Grog6 said:
I'll bet the deck is sourcing the noise as its spinning up...it's a power issue in the deck that I've seen before...never found a way to fix it, tho...

It only happens on the subs for some reason.

:(
Yeah my kenwood does that too. Only when reading the CD. I can actually hear a little bit of high frequency too, but most of it comes from my sub. Sounds to me as if the motor itself isn't properly isolated, but one can never tell.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah thats the sounds im getting including a digital deet deet deet, sorry for the poor explanation. It's weird though this only started after I ran everything properly, when everything was a mess I never had that issue. Maybe now that everything is so clear and Im not getting any alt whine I notice it because thats the only sound Im getting while the cd loads.

·
Super Moderator
11,175 Posts
A better ground at the deck could help...

You might try a heavier, braided ground wire to the deck, if you are using the stock wiring.

If you did your own wiring inside the deck, try using the stock deck wiring.

Reground the amp with a shorter, heavier wire, and see if anything changes.

Hunting problems like these can drive you crazy, fast.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok well on the way to mygf's school last night the alt whine came back with a vengence and also somethings not right with the rcas I think because everytime I hit a pot hole i get a loud crakle from the speakers but thesub sounds fine(other then what I mentioned in the previous post. I am so angry lol. I am using the stock radio harness and tried to ground it to the wire harness in the car and to a body ground.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
thewishkah said:
Ok well on the way to mygf's school last night the alt whine came back with a vengence and also somethings not right with the rcas I think because everytime I hit a pot hole i get a loud crakle from the speakers but thesub sounds fine(other then what I mentioned in the previous post. I am so angry lol. I am using the stock radio harness and tried to ground it to the wire harness in the car and to a body ground.
sounds like a pinched/shorted out RCA.....

·
Registered
483 Posts
i agree with 95 badbird

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope thats all it is, when I re ran them the other day I changed one of the sets of RCAS and put in rockford rca's I had laying around, because I thought one of the pairs werent shielded properly. Also I f I smack the HU it goes away for a minute almost as if there is a bad connection.

On my way home from her school today I also noticed that when the face plate is up(normal operating position) that I get some constant static but as soon as I put it down(to eject cd) it stops THAT noise but I still have the crackle and the alt whine. I am wondering if when Pioneer had it if they f'd something up, or if its my radio harness, since they told me not to send it with the radio so it wasn't tested.

I HATE wiring lol espcialy with so many variables as in my system. with power, ground 2 sets RCA's, 14 g speaker wire to 4 speakers and 2 tweeters.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Bought a set of Rockford rf twisted rca cables tonight , hope to get them in tomorrow but that depends on the temperature lol Hopefully this will clear up the noises I am getting with the cheap set of rcas now, if not Im re grounding the amp and giving up lol.

·
Registered
483 Posts
you could also buy a noise suppressorfrom circuit city for the alt. noise beleive me i got so much gear in my car i'm just thankful it worked the first time in.good luck on your rewire challenge.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought one of those ground loop isolators if thats what you mean, and it helped A LOT but the whine is still there Im hopping the new cable and regournd will fix everything if not im about to give up.

·
Super Moderator
11,175 Posts
where did grog6's other replys go? why was this thread edited?
Sir Will said all thursday's posts got dusted...

The post was to replace the deck as a signal source, at the front of the car, using the existing rca's with an Ipod or jambox with line outputs...

This allows you to isolate the different parts and test them...

If the amp has noises with the ipod, you know it's not the deck...

Then move the ipod connection to the amp, with a short rca cable, and retest. that eliminates the cable.

If you think the noise is the deck, use a short rca to the jambox from the deck, and see if the noise is there.

I have a small jambox that has line ins and outs that I use just for troubleshooting audio systems. And the am radio is great for finding leaky spark plug wires, too...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have found this method as a surefire way to cure any whine or any other odd noise (except for the cd rumble).
Make sure that you have good grounds (use a dremel or sandpaper to remove all the paint or undercoating from the point you have the amp grounded. If possible, use a nut lockwahser, flat washer, connector, flat washer, lockwasher, nut arrangement. Tighten very securely and then you can put some touch up paint or undercoating on that if needed or if it can be seen. Then run a 10 or 12 gage wire from the amp's ground terminal to a screw on the body of the head unit. That should clear up any noise issues

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the tip, I went to go take my HU out yesterday to run another set of twisted rockford cables in place of my really cheap rca's that I had running to the speaker amp(sub amp already has rockford rca's) and when I pulled it out the alt whine stopped completely along with the crackeling. I put it back in the dash and it has been great since. I am going to hold on to the rockford cables anyway untill the snow melts then I will put them in since the noise has stopped in the mean time.

I have to say with the rockford cables I ran to my sub last week the bass is MUCH better, more accurate,deeper, and louder then it was with a set of cheap cables, but I do get that rumble from the cd player now maybe because of the increased signal? who knows. I am starting to wonder how much better my speakers will sound once I hook up the rockford cables I bought for that amp (which is also a rockford amp).

·
Super Moderator
11,175 Posts
The radia was probably stuffed against the chassis metal of the dash...

The dash ground probably isn't as good as the wired ground, and injected noise.

If it recurs, you may want to reground the dash, or check the body ground wire.

If you haven't done the 'big three', you may have burned the chassis strap. It is usually a copper braid, attached to the engine and body. And there is a smaller wire on the battery ground post, I believe. (Mine have been totally redone, and its been awhile...)

Glad your prob is solved. Jam on!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts