TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a rough couple of weeks with the Cougar. It started out running poorly and getting terrible fuel mileage. Then I got in an accident that I was cited for. I got everything put back together last Wednesday. I switched over to the 96/97 front end. I have the grill I just haven't put it in yet. I am having trouble getting the antenna out.

Now that I had the front end back together, I decided to continue the hunt for the poor fuel mileage and engine trouble. I had my brother hook up the data log and look for misfires. It was not misfiring until we hit a set of railroad tracks. When I hit the tracks, the data log went straight to 4096 misfires all on cylinder 3. However, we couldn't get it to happen anywhere else. We cleared it all out and took the test drive again. We got the exact same amount of misfires in the exact same spot as before. 4096 misfires over the same railroad tracks on the same cylinder. We decided to try moving fuel injectors around. When we did that, the misfire moved. So, we replaced that injector. We also replaced spark plugs. No more misfire! Yay! :D

As I drove it home, I noticed the engine temp going higher than normal. Sure enough, as I pulled in the driveway, steam rolling from under the hood. Radiator blew up. I got that all replaced today, but as I was working on it, I found that I have a wheel bearing going bad in the rear end. So, hopefully after the wheel bearing and some EGR work I will be done for a while.

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Well think of it this way...

Everything you replace now shouldn't fail you for at least a few years! :D

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I know this car is getting old but I gotta tell you I've had very few issues with my Thunderbird over the past 10 years! What I'm trying to say is once you hit the issues fixes should last longer than a few years I would think...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts