TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished up putting my ported heads loaded with PI cams and a PI intake on the cat and fired it up (open headers of course:D ) Sounded awesome and didn't miss a beat. But...I've got a small coolant leak. It's running out of somewhere faster than I can pee. I believe it is either where the intake meets the head or the tube in the valley that is leaking from the nipple because it wasn't sitting too well in there when I put it on. The NPI heads are semi port matched to the PI intake, so I used the PI gaskets. IF it is leaking from the head/intake area, is it possible to port out the coolant passages on the intake a bit to match the head?? I didn't really take a close look at the passage on the intake b/f I put it on, but I'll be pulling it tomorrow to see I guess. I've got to clean up the wiring and hoses too, but tonight was just a test run. Just in time before I have to head off to school with it on Saturday. Nothing like cutting it close.

Joe

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Congrats, whitecoug, that's quite an accomplishment. You avoided the timing problems that others ran into at least. I hope you can get that leak fixed quickly so you can be on the road again. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the performance.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Joe, the coolant port opening on the PI gasket is different on one corner than the coolant port on the NPI heads and will not fully cover it. If you used the PI gaskets on NPI heads and didn't use permatex to cover that gap between that corner of the port on the NPI head and the seal on the PI gasket, it will leak. I have pics somewhere to show it. Do a search and you might find them.
If that is your problem, do both sides while you have it apart. The other side will probably spring a leak as soon as the engine gets hot and builds up enough pressure.

Good luck.
Darrin

Edit: Typo, show is spelled with a w and not an e, that makes an entirely different word and this is one case where it really doesn't fit.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would some RTV work as well on that gap?? I think I may try it and see how it goes.

Joe

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, pulled the intake tonight and did a little portmatching on the intake and the gaskets (probably a BIG no no, but oh well...) Opened up the front passenger side coolant port on the intake, as well as the rear port on the driver side. I then matched those two holes in the PI gasket to those from the NPI gasket (made the PI ones larger) In doing this however, I cut some of the soft squishy gasket part (the part that actually seals) So I gobbed (not really) some RTV on the head around all 4 coolant passages set the gaskets up there and slapped some more RTV on the 2 holes in the gasket that I cut bigger. Set the intake on and bolted it down. Got everything on and ran it for about 20 min, about 1/3 of the time was revved up to get the coolant flowing at a good rate and with some pressure. No leaks that I could tell. I'm going to let it sit tonight and run it again tomorrow afternoon to double check it and then finish this project up.

BTW, I was looking at the RTV I had and it says Permatex on it...hmmm

Joe

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And so today I get my chip back and toss on the 02 GT MAF, bigger injectors back in and put everything together. Left the rear portion of the exhaust off, wasn't really in the mood to put it on any ways. Got it going and took it out for a drive (11:30 pm) Runs nice, but I lost a bit of coolant somewhere. No leaks on the heads from the intake, I'm just hoping that it's filling the voids somewhere in the block or heads and not running into the intake port on the head where I can't see it. Will know tomorrow I guess. But it is nice. Little more kick in the pants and the exhaust note is great as well. Give it a few days to do a little relearning and see what happens.

Joe

BTW, a write up on the PI intake swap for 94/5ers will be coming shortly now that I have this done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts