1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thats awesome I hope they make a full prototype I want to see a video of it in action.

·
Registered
497 Posts

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Well older members will remember Sebastian Maik, who went by "seabass".

The military is really gung ho with these unmanned vehicles. Can't say I blame them, but I just hope they don't rely on it too much.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GreenBird said:
The military is really gung ho with these unmanned vehicles. Can't say I blame them, but I just hope they don't rely on it too much.
I'm just waiting for someone to figure out how to break the encrypted data link to all these UAV's and have them make a U-turn!!! :beek:

There are definitely lots of pros and cons to UAV's!! :beek:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
GreenBird said:
Well older members will remember Sebastian Maik, who went by "seabass".

You make it sound like some of us are ancient!

ona nother note (yea its a hijack)

What ever happened to the cyborg anyways? Have not seen hide nor hair from him in a while?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
I'm just waiting for someone to figure out how to break the encrypted data link to all these UAV's and have them make a U-turn!!! :beek:

What makes you sure they're using encrypted links?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Thunderterd said:
You make it sound like some of us are ancient!
Ancient in internet time...5 years!

Thunderterd said:
What ever happened to the cyborg anyways? Have not seen hide nor hair from him in a while?
JT left because of personal issues.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
...Redstone Arsenal = Tactical UAV Project Office. :D
[/url]
Do you really mean *Army*Tactical UAV Project Office? This one launches from a sub which means Uncle's Navy is involved. Based on my experience with both services there's a good chance Navy engineers never thought of using encrypted control/telemetry links, that would be expensive!. (think John Walker when evaluating how they do security) To be fair, this is a DARPA project and uses contractors so it's probably very ECM 'hardened'. ;)

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts

I don't know that I really consider that too serious of a threat...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
doodaa said:
Do you really mean *Army*Tactical UAV Project Office? This one launches from a sub which means Uncle's Navy is involved. Based on my experience with both services there's a good chance Navy engineers never thought of using encrypted control/telemetry links, that would be expensive!. (think John Walker when evaluating how they do security) To be fair, this is a DARPA project and uses contractors so it's probably very ECM 'hardened'. ;)
True!! There's my problem... I work for DISA and we are a multi-agency organization. So I often don't think of things as Army, Navy, Air Force, etc. I think of them as all the same branch since most of the data processing (which is what I work in) is all migrating to cross agency standardization. :thumbsup:

Based on conversations I had with the PMO's people in the early 90's, I would be pretty confident that the links are encrypted. Probably at the software level, not hardware encryption. With only a few hours “window of opportunity”, you don't have to have a very sophisticated algorithm to protect your data in this application.

I wouldn't consider them a threat unless they are the "proposed" UAV's that replace all the current manned aircraft (fighters to bombers). If you could build a plane that would pull 20 to 30 g's, but not use it because the pilots would get "squished"... There's a lot of incentive to find a way to do unmanned combat aircraft. :thumbsup:

Those are what I would be worried about!! Shoot even some of the UAV's being used in Iraq are armed with some pretty nasty weapons! :beek:

But that’s just my ramblings… :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts