TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I wasn't a huge part of this community the first time around, I feel drawn back to this place much as I am drawn back to the chassis. A few years back I purchased a black '97 V8 LX for $1000. It had roughly 180k on the clock but looked in decent shape for what it was. I had bought it originally because I was at technical training in Mississippi and needed to get to Texas the following week. My parents had sold my old car and I didn't want to pay for the military to move my stuff. After making the trip and owning the car for nearly a year, I ended up using it as a trade-in on a 2008 Civic. While I was enthralled with being able to drive a manual trans car again, I soon found that I missed the old bird...especially with 430/mo car payments and getting separated from the military. For 3 years I've been trying to find another bird for the right price at the right time and after a series of unfortunate events, finally the time came and the price was perfect.

Today, I am the proud owner of a Thunderbird...again...

For $350 and after a few scares, I purchased a '95 V8 LX with ~130k on the clock. CarFax indicated two minor front end collisions and fairly regular maintenance on the car up until the end of 2009. If anyone is familiar with Paterson, NJ...I found myself on the bad side of Rosa Parks Boulevard with a wad of cash and a fairly lost look on my face. In hindsight, probably not the best decision, but dammit I wanted my 'bird! Currently, I have no pictures of the car besides those listed on craigslist, but the body is straight, all the lights work, no CEL's and she runs. She shifts into gear, too...but I won't be able to determine how well she drives til Tuesday when I can go pick her up. The cloth interior (ewwwwwwww, green....) is in surprisingly good shape with the exception of the plastic seat trim and the floor mats. The fan control module needs replaced and I am certain of an exhaust leak. I suspect a coolant leak somewhere, but was unable to find it....I will update as I go along and hopefully post some pics.

·
Administrator
8,011 Posts
Welcome back and good luck with the new (to you!) T-Bird!

Joe

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought some new shoes for the 'Bird today and was going to do an alignment as well. While attempting to loosen the driver's side rear camber (toe?) adjustment bolt, it sheared off. While looking on rockauto, I did not find anything specifically labeled as a part for the rear, however there are parts listed as front that look similar. Before I order this part, I wanted to confirm the part number for the rear camber bolt. Does someone happen to have that info and could provide it to me, please?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I found the part number...ish...on the FordParts/com website it shows as simply 3B236, however, they are unavailable from Ford. A quick Google Shopping search pulled up a lot of other cam bolts with that segment in their part number...Ford F65z-3b236-bb for F-150's, Yw4z-3b236-aa for Lincoln LS's...so now I'm questioning if these are the same part just translated across platforms, or are these parts entirely different? If there is a SPECIFIC part number for our rear cam bolts, I'm at a loss to find them...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started calling around today about the part (rear cam bolt) and found that there are currently no aftermarket parts that cross reference with the ford part number. When I called my local dealership they were happy to inform me that there were in fact dealerships that had this part...but only two of them. One was in Alabama and the other in Nebraska. After calling them both, I finally have a set on its way. Crisis averted...for now.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I received the part I ordered...unfortunately it was not the part I was expecting. I called the same dealership I ordered the part from and they were very helpful in finding me the correct part number (thanks Carol) but did not have the part in stock. In fact, only one dealership in the country had one...and only one. This time in Pennsylvania. Crisis averted...again...for realz this time...hopefully.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I received the part I ordered...unfortunately it was not the part I was expecting. I called the same dealership I ordered the part from and they were very helpful in finding me the correct part number (thanks Carol) but did not have the part in stock. In fact, only one dealership in the country had one...and only one. This time in Pennsylvania. Crisis averted...again...for realz this time...hopefully.
That's how it's going to be honestly, on my '94 I've found a few parts via ford, but I love ebay and junkyards for a lot of stuff.

But then again, I am the kind of person that likes to go to junkyards and rip things out of an old car.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Don't forget about "Fordpartscounter" here on the forum. Jason is a good guy, you can PM or call.

Al

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's how it's going to be honestly, on my '94 I've found a few parts via ford, but I love ebay and junkyards for a lot of stuff.

But then again, I am the kind of person that likes to go to junkyards and rip things out of an old car.
Yeah, I had similar (although not as bad) experiences with finding parts for my last thunderbird back in 2011. Also, considering I found no aftermarket part numbers that cross reference with these cam bolts, I didn't want to wing it on a part that wasn't labeled specifically for the rear. I also didn't want to take my chances with the junkyard as I'm sure most of the tbirds in my local pick and pulls are likely just as rusted and seized as mine...

I had actually completely forgotten about the parts counter here...might have to contact them about a new rack and tie rod ends...and bushings...and ball joints...and...we'll the list goes on. The whole front end needs to be rebuilt, the engine and trans need some work and the blower control module is shot...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So latest in the chronicle of "How'd he screw it up this time...", I finally broke down and went to the junkyard. Got the bolt, got a new blower motor control module and picked up a pristine cupholder insert for the center console, only to find that it wont fit due to my car having rear air vents. :/

Next on the list is the power steering rack, tie rods ends, ball joints and sway bar endlinks and bushings. Rotors need to get done, but those will wait until I swap to mustang hubs and brakes. Engine and trans both have some pretty nasty leaks, but they'll live until I have them rebuilt. Unfortunately, this all is being put on hold while bills gets paid, but at least now I can drive my baby.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
got a new blower motor control module and picked up a pristine cupholder insert for the center console, only to find that it wont fit due to my car having rear air vents. :/
I thought they all had rear air vents? Or was that just an option?

Al

·
Super Moderator
7,493 Posts
I thought they all had rear air vents? Or was that just an option?

Al
They all have rear air vents, but the tube on the 97s is shaped differently to clear the cup holders. To install the 97 console top with cup holders, you need to either also replace the vent tube with the 97 piece, or remove the rear vent tube completely, or cut it down and seal the top part with duct tape, or if you are careful, you can heat it up with a heat gun and re-shape the tube to clear the cup holders.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They all have rear air vents, but the tube on the 97s is shaped differently to clear the cup holders. To install the 97 console top with cup holders, you need to either also replace the vent tube with the 97 piece, or remove the rear vent tube completely, or cut it down and seal the top part with duct tape, or if you are careful, you can heat it up with a heat gun and re-shape the tube to clear the cup holders.
Very insightful. I always thought it was an option. Seeing as I'm contemplating a rear seat delete anyways, I'll probably just cut and seal the tube feeding the rear vents.

·
Super Moderator
16,830 Posts
If you delete it completely plug the duct hole under the dash as well, that way you won't be heating/cooling the inside the dash :tongue: plus you'll get a little more output out from the remaining vents.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you delete it completely plug the duct hole under the dash as well, that way you won't be heating/cooling the inside the dash :tongue: plus you'll get a little more output out from the remaining vents.
Thats precisely what I was thinking. Was going to try cutting it back as far as possible so as not to have unused space...then again, there's a loooooooong way to go before much else happens to this car...

Realistically, I'd like to try getting 300hp/350tq at the crank on this thing, and while I'm still doing research on what need to happen to the engine to make that a reality, the suspension needs rebuilt, the trans needs rebuilt, the engine needs rebuilt, power steering system needs replaced, needs brakes...though aside from the power steering, all these repairs will eventually lead to upgrades. Shooting for mustang hubs and brakes, built motor (preferably N/A, but possibly S/C'd), DirtyDog trans w/ a 3200 stall converter, and some other custom touches..

Of course, I need to save some (read: a lot of) money and that's not happening right now...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts