TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it died. Cruising along......and bam. 95 SC Pearl White loaded with everything, 96K miles.

It's dead straight body, new leather seats make me wanna fix it. Engine was resealed with all new gaskets, new timing chaing/front cover and everything up top (injectors, egr stuff, hoses, belts, etc) about 5K miles ago, big Griffin radiator.

Just beyond pissed right now.

What am I looking at with just doing a stock rebuild but with arp bolts and stuff?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well it died. Cruising along......and bam. 95 SC Pearl White loaded with everything, 96K miles. ..Engine was resealed with all new gaskets, new timing chaing/front cover...
Hmmmm... Wondering why you did all that. I mean what was the base problem, then?
And what oil do you use? {Just filling my fact-bin}
Just beyond pissed right now.

What am I looking at with just doing a stock rebuild but with arp bolts and stuff?
Guy was just telling me yesterday a customer of his sold a cherry looking 95 SC for $1700 bucks. He said he'd have snapped it up at 2000.

That's neither here nor there but sort of points to 'If you have to ask how much.. then do you really want to do it'?
Judging from your list of cars, I know you know what I mean.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm... Wondering why you did all that. I mean what was the base problem, then?
And what oil do you use? {Just filling my fact-bin}

Guy was just telling me yesterday a customer of his sold a cherry looking 95 SC for $1700 bucks. He said he'd have snapped it up at 2000.

That's neither here nor there but sort of points to 'If you have to ask how much.. then do you really want to do it'?
Judging from your list of cars, I know you know what I mean.
Well 1st the intake manifold was leaking so it was sealed up and I replaces all the crap on top (egr and it's electronics, injector o-rings, etc). Then the water pump failed. Then the front cover, so it was replaced with a new one and oil pump and new timing chain since the cover was off. Then the oil pan started leaking.....so it was pulled and resealed. New plugs, wires, O2's, cam and crank sensors, new supercoupe performance balancer, then while it was inthe Vegas heat, the big Griffin radiator was installed to keep the HG happy and not blowing.

The car has had a healthy diet of Mobil 1. There was no warning at all. Drove it in the morning and it was fine. Dead in the afternoon,

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seriously all it would need is a short block.....everything else is less than a year old or 5k miles.....just really wish it was something easy like a head gasket, versus the whole darn engine!

·
Registered
182 Posts
First, follow dirtyd0g's advice. Get in touch with XR7 Dave. He frequents SCCoA. Send all of your good parts, if not the whole engine to him. Me, I'd send everything (manifolds, cam sensor, etc.) so you can get a whole engine back that just needs unboxing before you plop it in the engine bay. None of this short block or long block install prep.

I went through this with my son's SC, TWICE! By the time I was done, it cost me more for a stock rebuild than what I could have paid Dave for a better performing and more durable engine. If the engine is done right once, you shouldn't have further problems.

Second, replace all of that EGR stuff in the back of the engine while the engine's out. Or get a tune to eliminate it. My EGR components were allergic to engine swaps. Worked fine before the swap and failed after the install... ...TWICE!

Third, if you do get a new engine, get a tune to turn on both fans earlier to aviod any cooling problems. Or at least wire up a couple of temperature switches to switch them on early.

I wouldn't mind short block or long block swaps with the Windsor or Mod motors but when it comes to working on an SC, give me a complete engine any day.

-Allan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts