TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a 98 Civic and when she hits the throttle just a lil bit there is a knocking or some sort of clicking noise. It doesn't knock at idle. Her fluids are fine. What could be the problem. It has about 152,000 miles on it. Thanks.

-Brian

·
Registered
180 Posts
From the description, my best guess would be rod or wrist pin but most likely rod knocking. Sorry..............Dan

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never got on my hands and knees, but it sounds like it was coming from the left portion of the engine, where the pulleys are (i believe).

-Brian

·
Registered
724 Posts
It could be tons of things. It could be a bearing on a pulley or a wrist pin. No one can diganose a "knocking when she steps on the gas that sounds like it's coming form the left side of the engine." Try to narrow it down. Can you get a long bar or screwdriver in around the pulleys? If you can do that you can use it as a stethascope to narrow down where the soudn is coming from. Have her put it in gear with just enough gas to duplicate the amount of load so that the sound is present. Even if you can't hear the sound chances are it's there and you could start to narrow it down as described above. The more info you give anyone here or anywhere the more likely they are to come up with a real solution as opposed to taking shots in the dark.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I know I should of tried to narrow it down, but I do not have her car and I had some time today, so I decided to throw it out there. But I will take a look at it when I see her next. What do you mean by putting the screwdriver in and around the pulleys? Do you mean between the pulley and the belt?

-Brian

·
Registered
724 Posts
For example lets take the water pump. If it was a bearing on the water pump that was going out you place the end of the screwdriver on the pump itself and feel that noise you hear come through the screwdriver, sound travels better through solids that air. If its the alternator pulley you would probably feel that noise when you place the screwdriver on the water pump, but it would be much stronger when you placed it on the alternator. You won't be able to place the screwdriver on the pulley itself but more on the base of the pulley. It might not even be a pulley, but that methode can narrow things down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts