TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ain't it the truth. I got new wheels yesterday, which look great. But they were silver and I wanted gunmetal. So I sanded them down and painted them with some gunmetal wheel paint and clearcoat. Everything was going fine, the wheels look great, then when I'm taking off the front passenger wheel, one lugnut is being stubborn. So I give it a heaping helping of good ol' fashioned muscle. It decides to come loose VERY quickly, sending my hand and the wrench snapping down, scraping off almost ALL the skin on my index finger's first knuckle. I mean you could see bone. Nasty. But in the end, a Band-Aid solved the problem and now my car looks hot. Now it's all of you guys' turns. Tell your worst car-repair injury story!

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
man, where to begin, lol, i have had numerous cuts scrapes and bruises working on my cars through the years, but luckily have not had to go to the er for any of them(knock on wood),

the worst i can remember is getting cut on my right hand on the inside of my index finger almost, if not all the way to the tendon, godd*** did that hurt like crazy, lol, i hurt for at least two weeks, and on really cold mornings my finger still hurts, i think of them as battle scars, chicks dig that, lol....:D

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
:rofl: :rofl:

How do I bleed for thee, let me count the ways.... :D

Working on my truck: too lazy to get a key to remove a drill bit from a drill, so I’m using set of pliers and a screw driver. Yep, screw driver slips and I ram the drill into/though my hand. Ace bandage, sterile gauze and antibiotics applied to the wound and back to work I go. Proceed to remove the fuel lines. Yep, pour gasoline right onto the wound. At that point, I figured it would be best to call it a day. :leftright

Working on my truck: using a 24” breaker bar to break loose a bolt and the socket slipped off. I sandwiched my thumb’s knuckle between the breaker bar and the frame. Three weeks later, a piece of bone worked its way out through the skin. It’s “interesting” to pull bone slivers out of your body, knowing that they were originally part of your body. :leftright

I don’t know how much blood I’ve lost from cuts and scrapes while working on vehicles. :D

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Those fuel rails will get you every time. I've got the marks on my thumb and index finger to prove it. lol.

·
Registered
331 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Working on my truck: using a 24” breaker bar to break loose a bolt and the socket slipped off. I sandwiched my thumb’s knuckle between the breaker bar and the frame. Three weeks later, a piece of bone worked its way out through the skin. It’s “interesting” to pull bone slivers out of your body, knowing that they were originally part of your body. :leftright
[email protected], that must have been PAINFUL!! Down to the bone. OUCH!!

I had a similar experience to 94D.D. except my thumb was sandwiched between the bar and an asphalt driveway. I didn't break anything so no bone slivers but I think that was the worst.

And 94D.D., you can also have problems when you DO have the key for the drill. I was drilling the holes for the jmod and after switching bits in my drill press, I was leaning over to watch the bit just to make sure it goes where I want it to go and that I had not moved the plate. Well I turned on the drill press and realized you should always remove the key before you turn on the drill press when the key flew out and hit the safety glasses I was wearing. :rolleyes: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

I do 90% of the work on all of my cars and have bleed many times for each of them but never to the extent that I could see bone. :::goes off to knock on some real wood:::

·
Registered
382 Posts
First injury was trying to replace the windshield wiper cable under the dash on my '56 Chevy. Darn near cut my finger off getting it caught between the pully and the cable. Good 'ol Dad got me bandaged up and off to the shop to have it repaired properly(the '56).
The best one one was my "wrist cooker", got my metal watch band caught between the alternator HOT post and ground. WOW! It really sizzled. My wife came out in the garage and ask what I was cooking.Still have the scar.
Of course my auto students will tell you the best one is a toss up between the time I got a timing light caught in the fan belt and the time a squated down to show them some finer details on a brake job and ripped my pants.
:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Bigiron383 said:
.... The best one one was my "wrist cooker", got my metal watch band caught between the alternator HOT post and ground. WOW! It really sizzled. My wife came out in the garage and ask what I was cooking.Still have the scar.
Yup, that one rings a bell. I had a nice dark brown spot in my wrist for years after that. I was reaching around the alternator on a slant 6 to use my finger as a TDC detector..... Glad I didn't get it caught like you did.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Silver95Bird said:
Those fuel rails will get you every time. I've got the marks on my thumb and index finger to prove it. lol.
OMG yes... after about 4 fingers getting owned by the rails I went out and pickedup a spark plug wire puller... what a PITA

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I go by the old addage.....

If I don't cut my hands at least once while working on my car.....I haven't done anything productive.

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
i was doing a trans flush/changine trans filter.... and then.... after i changed the filter, i put the new gasket and pan back on, started to torque the bolts down with an inch lb torque wrench... (the flex type) to about 180 somethin inch lbs, well when your hand is coverd in trans fluid, and its a little black ball for the handle, and ur hand slips, the torque wrench sprung back and whacked me in the cheek, giving me a bruised cheek and black eye for a week, and a little gash... like someone else said, almost hit my eye but was wearing safety glasses....

so i said FU** really loud, and auto teacher looks at me, sees my face turning black and blue, and just left me alone and understood my foul language.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
It's not done right until you set something on fire!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I lose a knuckle or a fingerprint just about every time I'm working on my car. Luckily I'm usually drunk, so there's no pain to stop me from continuing. :zbeer:

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Disconnecting the fuel lines for an intake swap. They werent coming off as easily as usual, and yes I have the disconnect tools, so I pulled a little harder, the pressure in the lines projected the fitting into my face, luckily I wear glasses. It shattered the lens of my glasses and gas got all over my face. So I quickly washed my face and eyes out with water. MAN it pays off to be a nerdy four eyes sometimes!
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Call me a wuss, but I always wear work gloves when working on my cars, unless it's finicky work like changing plugs or something.

Got tired of the cuts, and scraping skin off my knuckles and scabs off of knuckles that were recently skinned I guess.

Installing the headers on the 5.0 motor was the worst, couldn't avoid banging up my hands there.

They also help when you smash your hand agains the car after the breaker bar breaks whatever stubborn bolt that's just let loose.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Kevin said:
Call me a wuss, but I always wear work gloves when working on my cars, unless it's finicky work like changing plugs or something.
OK You're a wuss! ;)
Seriously I wear them now too. I've bought enough Lava and Gojo over the years to make someone a rich man. I can spin off the oil filter in my wife's car wearing just the gloves. No more need to get a freakin wrench in there. By the way, Gojo is horrible in Florida unless you keep it inside the house in A/C.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Mine are the normal busted knuckles.

However, my brother has a very funny one.

He had rebuilt a motor for a friend and had it all back in the car and hooked up except for the carb. His friend wanted to hear it run. So my brother got a tin can full of gas and got up on the car sitting on the fender leaning over the intake. He poured gas in the intake while his friend cranked her over. The car hit a couple times before it back-fired. The can of gas caught on fire, he fell off the car onto his back, dumping the burning tin can of gas into his CROTCH. Third degree burns on his privates. OOOOUUUUCH!!! The burn unit nurses never had so much fun.

Rob

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Hmm..the worst incident wasn't even on my car..

I was changing the oil on my ex-girlfriend's Subaru GL wagon. The oil filter did NOT want to come off. Jammed a screwdriver through it. Bent the screwdriver. The end was rounded so I couldn't just use a remover. In an attempt using my hands, I slipped and ran my hand right into the edge of part of the splash guard, full force. Opened up my hand pretty bad just above the wrist. I wasn't letting that stop me. Wrapped a rag around the wound and tried again. About a minute later, came what might be some of the worst pain I've ever felt in my entire life (next to a collapsed lung). It felt like my hand was on fire and being crushed by a press with spikes on it. After about a half hour of this, nothing.. my hand went numb for an hour. Couldn't feel it, move it, anything. Turns out I'd crushed a few thousand nerves.

I did get the oil filter off later though.. took off my leather belt, wrapped it around the filter and pulled with all my weight braced against the front bumper. :D

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
SloMo228 said:
Holy crap that sounds painful. I think that one wins. I'd rather see my bones than toast my johnson any day!
Johnson and sack!!! It makes me shiver just thinking about it.

Rob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts