TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the engine issue... I know it's not completely related, but wouldn't an NPI engine re-fitted with PI heads make more power than a PI engine? Because of the higher compression and all. I've asked this question before and I didn't get a straight answer, so I reworded it and asked again. Also, searching is useless since all I get are flame wars about NPI vs. PI. I'm thinking I'm gonna get an NPI motor and put PI heads on it instead of buying a PI motor, especially if they actually do make more power.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I thought(and this could be misinformation) that I read somewhere that the PI engines have deeper dished pistons. Mind you I don't know for a fact, that is just something that jumped to my mind. I could have it completely wrong.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, engines that came with PI heads (PI engines) had dished pistons, the CR on a PI engine is the same as that on a NPI-headed NPI engine. At least, that's how I understand it. So, a PI-headed NPI engine should have a higher CR. If what I've heard is true, anyway... But I suppose it's a moot point, since I'm looking at forged internals and I can just get whatever dish I need. I'm still curious, though.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
PnP NPIs and the will make some hella power...even better than PIs

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
SloMo228 said:
On the engine issue... I know it's not completely related, but wouldn't an NPI engine re-fitted with PI heads make more power than a PI engine? Because of the higher compression and all. I've asked this question before and I didn't get a straight answer, so I reworded it and asked again. Also, searching is useless since all I get are flame wars about NPI vs. PI.
My '96 NPI short block with PI heads, stock exhaust manifolds, high flow cats & a 2 in/1 out mid-mounted MagnaFlow muffler dynoed at 229 rwhp & 272 rwtq.
Hopefully, one of the Explorer swap fellas will chime in with dyno numbers.
smokymance said:
PnP NPIs and the will make some hella power...even better than PIs
Please let us not start another NPI vs. PI debate. Please.:bangwall:

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
oh i know...i now just realized that stating anything on what makes more power just gives me less power:D ....

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Yes PI heads on a non-PI block should make more power with equal mods. The extra point or so in compression will yield 5% or so more power across the board.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
96bird said:
Yes PI heads on a non-PI block should make more power with equal mods. The extra point or so in compression will yield 5% or so more power across the board.
If the 5% is true, that is a plus over the Explorer engine.
The aluminum Explorer engine weighs, what, 75-100 lbs. less than the iron block.
5% more power or 75-100 lbs reduction.
Which is better? :zdunno:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Shaving your heads isn't a good idea (timing chains come to mind)...you should be able to search around for the answer to that one. Personally I would grab the exploder engine and lose the weight. If you are going to stay NA and want aftermarket cams...I would get the Flat top pistons (not stock NPI though..forged instead) to put in the explorer engine though.

Russell

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what my long-term goals are. Aluminum block, fully worked heads and some nice lopey cams, flat top pistons with forged rods and crank, and a wee little shot of nitrous, like a 75 or 100.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
NPI heads will outflow PI heads any day. Now, our stock NPI heads will not out flow PI heads, but 98 mustang NPI heads will. Of course you will have to do a lot of porting work on these heads, and so will you on the PI heads.
The reason the 98 heads are better is because in our heads, in the intake side, there is a water passage in there, you cannot grind away as much metal in the heads as you can on 98 heads(NPI of course). The reason I say 98 because they have a casting number, (don't remember what it is right now), on them that identifies what they are. I think there was some in 97 that had the same casting numbers.
Take it for what its worth.
If the PI heads where better, don't you think JL would be running them, and other guys for that matter.
I think a lot of people got in there heads that the PI heads outperform the NPI heads, in which they do not.

Hope this makes any sense.

Nick

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
SloMo228 said:
... but wouldn't an NPI engine re-fitted with PI heads make more power than a PI engine? Because of the higher compression and all. I've asked this question before and I didn't get a straight answer, so I reworded it and asked again. Also, searching is useless since all I get are flame wars about NPI vs. PI.
badbird95 said:
NPI heads will outflow PI heads any day. Now, our stock NPI heads will not out flow PI heads, but 98 mustang NPI heads will. I think a lot of people got in there heads that the PI heads outperform the NPI heads, in which they do not.
Nick
JR Tigerstar said:
Please let us not start another NPI vs. PI debate. Please.:bangwall:

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
badbird95 said:
NPI heads will outflow PI heads any day. Now, our stock NPI heads will not out flow PI heads, but 98 mustang NPI heads will. Of course you will have to do a lot of porting work on these heads, and so will you on the PI heads.
The reason the 98 heads are better is because in our heads, in the intake side, there is a water passage in there, you cannot grind away as much metal in the heads as you can on 98 heads(NPI of course). The reason I say 98 because they have a casting number, (don't remember what it is right now), on them that identifies what they are. I think there was some in 97 that had the same casting numbers.
Take it for what its worth.
If the PI heads where better, don't you think JL would be running them, and other guys for that matter.
I think a lot of people got in there heads that the PI heads outperform the NPI heads, in which they do not.

Nick
i thought 96-98 non pi heads were all the same? they're all F5 casting. the F4 casting was used from 91-95.

Frank

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
fdawg97lx said:

i thought 96-98 non pi heads were all the same? they're all F5 casting. the F4 casting was used from 91-95.

Frank
I agree!

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Yes you are correct on the F5, F4 part.
But the number you are looking for(finally found it), is at the end of the casting number.
Also, I was wrong on the 98 part, it was 96-98 with the casting number.

The numbers are:
B22A
B24A

These heads will out - flow PI's any day, properly ported mind you.

Of course, you have to have the heads off to check the #'s.

I have a set at the house that I'm currently working on for my brothers Stang.

Nick

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I have yet to see how any F5AE casting is any different from any other F5AE casting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts