TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I erad posts all the time about people using the Transgo and the J-Mod together. How do they work together and what parts/mods do you use from each one? When I mod my tranny, I want the mildly firm 1-2 at light throttle that's a neck snapper at WOT. Any inlightenment would be wonderful (I've read Jerry's Trannys 101 article and most of the A-Train install guide, but I don't quite understand)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
You don't need to use a Transgo

kit with your trans. Just do the Jerry mod's along with
the suggested parts upgrades and install a Dennis/(Jerry)
chip....you'll be REALLY happy with the difference
in drivability...adding an 80mm Mustang MAF at the same
time wouldn't hurt and would save a reburn later.

Hope this helps,

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, honestly, how would I set up the J-Mod to get the shifts I want? (of course long with a Dennis chip for several reasons). And what would an 80mm MAF do for my performance?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Read Chapter 18 in Jerry's trans article...

and go with the "Mild" list...read through the
chapters and see if you want to add any other
suggested upgrades to your trans.

The 80mm Mustang MAF compliments the Dennis chip
and will also be a positive mod to have made should
you do anything else to increase breathing efficiency
like exhaust.

Taken all together, these mods will make a VERY noticable
difference in your 'Bird's drivability and responsiveness.

Hope this helps

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're probably getting annoyed with me by now...

:)

So I just looked into the drill specifications for a 95 and I have a question. at the bottom where the parts lists are, whats the real world differences between the "Mild" configuration and the "300hp" configuration?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
When I told...

Jerry I wanted a firm shift, but not a neck snapper,
he told me to go with the mild setup even with my
AED. I'm very happy with how my trans shifts, especially
with his chip. Remember also, if you do the 300hp mods
and DON'T have an engine putting out a lot of power and
torque the shifts will be even harder.

I'd wait for more feedback from other members who have
made either level of mod before making a final choice.

Good Luck!

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heh, I'd ask Jerry himself if I could/wasn't intimidated to talk to the MN12 God. :)

(honestly, I'm intimidated to talk to a man of such stature on these cars)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If you want.....

talk to Dennis. He'll give you great advice based
on his own experience as well as Jerry's....

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your help MagerThom. Its guys like you that make TCCoA a great place to hang out. I'll keep Dennis in mind, I plan on getting a chip from him in the future anyways, when I can get around to modding my tranny. I knew Dennis did chips, but didn't know just how extensive his tranny/j-mod knowledge was. Thanks for all your help and advice.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I don't know what the depth

of Dennis' auto trans knolwledge is, but I do know
his knowledge of the MN12 platform is extensive
and he does sell the Inject Tech chip...and we all
know where the basis for that chip came from....

http://www.reinhartautomotive.com/

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Neck-snapping for sure....

I would not recomend the 300hp specs unless you want whiplash. I did the 300hp settings, and it made it downright dangerous to drive in the rain. Even 1/2 throttle shifts would walk the rear end.

I found a junk-yard 4r70w and took the plate from it and put it in like it was. When I save up enough $$$ for a mark8 TC, I'm going to drill the plate with mild specs.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Yeah, that's sorta what I remember.....

others saying quite a while back. Thanks for postng
real scoop. You were lucky to find that seperator
plate....as I'm sure you know, Ford doesn't sell 'em
(well, unless you want to buy a whole tranny), and the
bone yard boys seem to not like parting trannys out...
at least around here.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since our roads get slipprier than vaseline during the rain here (i live in a relative desert, no rain) I should go with the Mild then. Thanx for the advice guys.

BTW, can't you order new seperator plates from somewhere? And if not, why doesn't someone with machine shop access start producing them?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Probably too late, and...

...I don't mean to confuse the issue, but I may have been one of the contributors to the original confusion.

I did a J-mod/Transgo shift kit install on my '95 4.6 a couple weeks ago.

Because that is both confusing and somewhat contradictory to the previous advice, let me explain.

I have zilch experience with cars newer than 1982 --what I call "computer cars."

However, I knew that the MN-12 had tranny problems before I bought the car.

I also precious little experience with automatic transmissions, and didn't want to double it on a car that I'm still making payments on.

So, I researched and I dug, and I worked on other cars, until I felt good enough to do this one.

I bought all the J-mod parts, and a Transgo shift kit (with movie).

After thinking about this for some time, and noting the "flavor" of both modification processes, I did all the J-mod stuff to the tranny, and all the Transgo stuff to the valvebody.

With two exceptions. The J-mod centers mostly around springs, servos, and pistons, the Transgo centers more on valvebody bits and pieces. (The movie even shows them sticking the "bad" accumulator pistons back in there...)

I added one of the springs from the shift kit to the J-mod list, and I drilled one separator plate hole "in-between" the J-mod and Transgo specs.

And, I'm happy. For the most part. Yeah, I gotta be careful in the rain. Yeah, I probably built it "stronger" than I needed to, because the 1-2 shift is really taking some getting used to. And, it won't do a burnout, unless it's in first, and even then, it ain't the the stuff mosquito foggers are made of.

Then again, I'll be adding the 3.73's as soon as I get the car and the tranny paid off (soon?) and the blower when I win the lottery (or sell some internal organs).

So maybe it'll get better.

A-Joe, I'm happy enough -- at least it doesn't run any worse than it did before, and I feel that it'll take a couple trips at the track without killing it.

Personally, I did what I had to do to feel good about the job. Next time (lol, never!), I might just stick with the straight J-mod.

However, if you're a cheap bastard like me, and you've just GOTTA use up as many parts as you can, feel free to e-mail me for details. I'm in the process of committing them to computer file so that I can remember all of it five years from now, when it blows up. :)

Dreaming of gears and blowers,

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I were to just J-Mod the valve body instead of going through the whole transmission, waht would it do for my shifts if I didn't immediately get a chip?

·
Registered
119 Posts
One thing's for sure...

... I would concentrate on replacing the accumulator pistons before ANYTHING else.

Jerry (and others) stressed this repeatedly, and Ford's Technical Service Bulletins agree.

The factory accumulator pistons in your '95 (like mine) are in there trying to destroy your transmission case.

First priority...they gotta get changed!

And, since you're already pulling the accumulators, why not "tailor" the springs per Jerry's instructions, and then (also, since you're "in there") follow Jerry's instructions for the valvebody.....

If anybody disagrees, I'd love to hear it, but this is what I felt was most crucial to the whole job.

Hope I've helped (at least a little)!

Oh, and no chip here...yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts