TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get a shift kit installed but looking at all the threads, it seems like a J-Mod is the way to go. I was also going to install a chip, most likely from BOC, and was wondering if I install a chip, do I still need the J-Mod since the chip improves the shifting anyway?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
you might as well do both. Honestly you can do the jmod very cheaply because all you really need is drill bits and 2 gaskets for the plates. Now its recommended to change the 1-2 and 2-3 shift accumlators, which i cant remember the price. I would just do both. The combo is the best you can do

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure it's easy enough to do both, I guess I was just wondering what the benifits of doing a J-Mod were after putting a chip in. Does the chip give the harder shifts like a J-Mod would?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
jut the j-mod will give you a firmer shift, with the chip, your fuel/air tables and spark tables will be revised, so you be gettin more power....and the shift pressure will be raised with the j-mod, it will shift harder. Its its a matter of chedder, the j-mod is very cheap, most expensive part is probably gonna be the mercon5 and the cooler.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
MattsLE97 said:
you might as well do both. Honestly you can do the jmod very cheaply because all you really need is drill bits and 2 gaskets for the plates. Now its recommended to change the 1-2 and 2-3 shift accumlators, which i cant remember the price. I would just do both. The combo is the best you can do
I bought all of the parts about a year ago for ~$125. That was all new accumulators and springs, gaskets and the deep sump pan. I agree, you should do both since the j-mod is so cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
yeah it was 70 shipped, that covered the 2 updated pistons, the 2 springs, the gaskets, and the OD servo. As I recall though some 96's got the updated pistons and 97's should have them... but you can check to make sure while you are under there. You gotta remove the springs anyway :) It is definitely worth it. I promise you. And I can't wait to get a chip to show it off even more.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I recommend doing both. The Jmod improves the hyd circuitry in the trans, opening up the passages allowing more fluid to move and faster. This allows for the fast application of the clutches and so on. Plus you'll be installing upgraded parts which is always a plus. With just a reprogram of the trans function by a chip pressures have to be increased, timing of the clutches and so on are changed but you can only go so far before you start having problems because the passages are still restricting the flow of fluid. This will sometimes cause things like 1st gear to hang longer before the shift at light throttle pressures for example. It all depends on what the valve body was set up for from the factory though. Some do ok and some don't. The 98 and new valve bodies are improved over the one that came in our MN12s and other older applications so there's not as many problems with building a trans program without a Jmod.

Then you have those that use an aftermarket shift kit such and Trans Go, B&M and so on. Those are more damaging than good. I have yet in all the years of tuning found a trans that will respond the same as another on using one of these kits. They are always a problem or cause one down the line.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lonnie, I sent an e-mail through BOC but never recieved a response. I just wanted to know if you ship your products to Canada? I would like to buy a chip in the next few months and have been looking at some of your other products as well. If you do ship your products North of the border, I will call you before I order.

I talked to my Tranny guy today who is going to install my 3.73's, he has never heard of the J-Mod and said he usually installs one of the shift kits such as Trans Go. Looks like I will have to attempt the J-Mod myself. Good thing for these Forums and tech articles.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I remember your email and did reply back. What happens is a lot of people have their security set in their email. So when I reply it gets kicked out because I'm not on the safe list or it goes to junk mail. You need to add [email protected] and [email protected] to your safe list. Yes I do ship to Canada but I only except CC from there and use only UPS.

Most shops have no clue of the Jmod since they don't know Jerry and or they don't hit the Ford forums where it is talked about. Jerry wrote his tech article for TCCoA long ago and it's become the standard for any type of 4R70W build up. Don't use anything else or let anyone talk you into using one of those others.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Lonnie. I will be calling you before Summer hopefully.

I read the tech article about the J-Mod and don't think it's that hard to do but the article doesn't explain about changing the accumulators or springs or other parts while I'm in there. Anywhere else I can get this info? I plan on doing this in the next couple of weeks along with the gears.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking at the wrong article.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I got the chip and was planning to do the JMod, but I am satisfied with the shifting from the chip. Never did the JMod.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have a chip and a the J-mod done on my car and I love the way it shifts, it's a lot of fun to drive. If I had to do it all over again I think I would probably get both 1-2 Springs in though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts