TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of doing the J-mod to my 1995 LX. I have everything I need, I just have a few ques. before I drill the plate out. I noticed that after everything is done, I should install the 96 filter, even if I have the stock 95 pan (non-deep sump). Is this a MUST? I bought the 95 filter kit and most parts stores are closed (sun.).

Next ques., can anyone show me a link or a pic as to what hole is #1, #2, etc.. on the separator plate so I can get them in the right order. My PC is not letting any of the pics in the TECH section load, so I have no reference.

Third and hopefully last, I was planning on going w/ the 300HP mod but I'm not sure that this is needed. I plan on building horse as I go along, but not currently at that level. Is the 300hp mod too much, or does it even matter?

Thanks in advance.

Jay

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a pic of the seperator plate hole locations, so one ques. down. Anyone else on the other 2?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Hey fordman i think your wanting to know if the 300 hp setting is to much. Well i did my jmod at that setting and in now way does it feel to much. Its perfect for the stock or slightly modded t-birds and cougars. I will guarantee you'll like that setting. Now i just need to get a chip to squack my tires from 1-2 :)

·
Administrator
8,244 Posts
If you use the 96 style filter, you need the deep sump pan.

Joe

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Joe. I ran out of money for the time being, so I only have the 95 pan and filter set. I know it's not ideal for this car, but it's all I have. I plan on upgrading to the deep sump in the very near future. Now if I could just get that 1-2 accum. in there.... Try, try again. I hope this thing works after I'm done, lol!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
hey ford man are you putting bothing springs back in?? If you are you need a good pair of snap ring pliers so you can use one hand for the pliers and one to push on the cover :) i learned that the hard way

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Yeah, depending on how ahrd you want the 1-2 shfit, you may not want to put the bottom spring back in.

Also. I have a brand new deep sump pan I may be able to sell you for pretty cheap.

Edit: here are the pics for the holes - note#3 (on second pic) is where hole number 8 is, not where it is in the first pic

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I think I finally figured it out. Aaron, if you would, send me a PM with how much you would be willing to cut that pan loose for please.

On a side note, I found some rather strange(to me at least) things once I got the valve body apart and the sep. plate off. Every single place that a check ball was located already had an X scribed into the alum. next to it, as to mark it. I have never had this tranny apart, and from what I can tell, it has only had the fluid/filter service since I did not find the yellow factory plug floating in the pan.

Second, The #8 hole that the 95 plate is not supposed to have, well, I already had it, just had to drill it out a bit and the updated gaskets lined right up.

I have yet to give her a test run, but I did get the rooster spring right at least, since I have access to all gears. I just got it full enough to grab a gear while cycling through, when the rad. called for attention. Here's hoping. I'll find out tonight after work if I did a good job or not.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, just finished up, and it seems as though everything is ok. I cycled through the gears a bit more, and all engage properly. Can manually shift from 1 to D, then hit the button to let OD come in. Needless to say that the shifts are definitly better. And the shudder has dissapeared completely. Now I just have to be carefull in the rain, as at anything above 3,800-4,000 on the 1-2 shift seems to break the tires loose and send the back end out. Have to try again on dry pavement to see the full affect. Figured I shouldn't press my luck in the rain. Thank you for all your guys' help. Everything went according to the plan.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts