TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I am in no way experienced enough to perform a J-Mod on my 94 3.8. If I took it to my neighbor's, showed him the instructions (tech section). Told him to buy everything needed and do it. What would you guys say the price would be? He likes to rip people off so if I can get a price and set that forth first... what would it be? Thanks alot

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
SaleenTBird said:
Alright, I am in no way experienced enough to perform a J-Mod on my 94 3.8. If I took it to my neighbor's, showed him the instructions (tech section). Told him to buy everything needed and do it. What would you guys say the price would be? He likes to rip people off so if I can get a price and set that forth first... what would it be? Thanks alot
It depends - those of us that have done it a few times can get the entire job done in a few hours or less. The first time I did it it took me almost 7 hours because I was going very slowly and learning as I went. Mechanic's labor here in central IL is about $50/hour.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Personally I wouldn't take it to anyone who I knew ripped people off. If he does that then I would assume his work is sub-par. I'm sure there are some people near you who have done a j-mod to their car and would do it for a reaonable price.
Just ask around. Otherwise take it to a quality mechanic.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
doubleclutch said:
Personally I wouldn't take it to anyone who I knew ripped people off. If he does that then I would assume his work is sub-par. I'm sure there are some people near you who have done a j-mod to their car and would do it for a reaonable price.
Just ask around. Otherwise take it to a quality mechanic.

i concur. no matter how "smart" the guy might be, you may set yourself up to be a darwin award winner if you have him do the work knowing that you will get scammed.

My advice.....get the necessary parts and do it with pops over a weekend, put in the time and effort and you will learn somehting :)

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The first time someone does it, it will take a long time to do. After doing several like I have, the one on my 97 took 2 hrs to do, start to finish. I'd expect to pay about $100 if you're paying someone else (who knows what they're doing).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Do it yourself man, trust me. I was in the same boat, but I bit the bullet and did it on my back in the driveway. Took me about 5 hours with taking my time and learning, along with installing a cooler. It's intimidating when you first drop the pan, but once you get going and learn what each part does, you'll be laughin. I actually had fun with it! good luck man...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I agree with Big Irish. YOU CAN DO IT. Get everything together and buy a big disposable roasting pan at the super market. Pump the tranny nearly dry and drain the TC. Put the pan under the trans pan when you lossen it and as you lower the valve body down set it in the pan and take it to the bench. This keeps the floor clean (and you). Dont dump the valve body upside down and then the little balls all will stay where they belong.

Took me about 8 hrs working slowly and by myself.

Tony

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
R&R & O/H VALVEBODY $200.00 - $400.00

That's what it would cost at a shop here. Anyone just doing it under a shadetree would be cheaper.

I remember when you could get a whole new transmission for $175 installed. That was with a flushed converter and used clutches. Some fly by night outfit called Kenny's Transmissions started that junk rebuild crap and messed up legitimate business for a few years. Beware of outfits like that.

Cheaper isn't always better. You don't get ripped off when you get what you pay for. Ripped off is when you pay for something you don't get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts