TCCoA Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,592 Posts
wheres a good place to pick up the pressure regulator? am ordering the ford parts off terminators list from my ford dealer jobber. thank you.!
I buy all my parts at my local transmission wholesale supplier. I own/operate my own auto repair business. So this stuff is easy for me to get. But I'm sure you can find them online.

Reactions: RalphP

·
Registered
1994 XR7 , 46 most every option. 66.000 miles. rustfree, from washington state.
448 Posts
im a semi retired body shop owner. i also have wholesale accc
ounts i will check.

·
SuperNewbie
3,592 Posts
im a semi retired body shop owner. i also have wholesale accc
ounts i will check.
That's in your favor. Somewhere in your town I'd expect there is a shop that supplies rebuilding parts to the trans shops. I have an account with a place like that. I can get everything for a jmod and more with a quick phone call. Look around or ask some other shop owners. Someone will know.

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Registered
448 Posts
is the sonnax 76948-01 the one i want or the elevated pressure one[76948-06] ?
i going with the light setting like brandon recomended.

·
SuperNewbie
3,592 Posts
is the sonnax 76948-01 the one i want or the elevated pressure one[76948-06] ?
i going with the light setting like brandon recomended.
I'd suggest the elevated pressure part.

·
Registered
448 Posts
First time I did one there was a certain level of apprehension as well. But it's really not that bad. The worst part is trying to deal with the snap ring for the 1-2 accumulator piston retainer. If you have good snap ring pliers this won't be an issue. 2nd worst part is the mess from all the transmission fluid draining out as you try to get the pan off.

My parts list looks like this.

Here are the hole sizes and bits for mild settings, for pre-98 transmissions (to improve longevity and reduce wear - NOT to create tire-chirping shifts):

Hole 1 (intermediate clutch control): .160" (#20 bit)
Hole 2 (intermediate clutch feed - 1-2 shift speed): .081" (#46 bit)
Hole 3 (intermediate clutch exhaust - 2-1 shift): .180" (#15 bit)
Holes 4 and 5 (direct clutch feed - 2-3 shift speed): .081" (#46 bit)
Hole 6 (direct clutch exhaust - 3-2 shift speed): 1/8"
Hole 7 (reverse servo feed - manual 2-1 speed): 1/8" bit
Hole 8 (forward clutch/OD servo exhaust - 3-4 shift sag fix): .238" (B bit)
Hole 9 (forward clutch feed, power on - 4-3 shift speed): .081" (#46 bit) ** this hole does not exist on pre-96 valve bodies. You will need to add it, using the location of the hole in the gasket as your template.
Hole 10 (reverse engagement): .081" (#46 bit)
Hole 11 (forward clutch feed, power off - 4-3 shift speed): .081" (#46 bit)

Refer to Jerry's thesis for the hole locations: Ford Overdrive Transmissions 101

Here's the list of parts you should be able to get from a Ford parts place:
F75Z-7F284-AA 1-2 Accumulator Upper Spring (you may not need this if yours isn't broken, but it's only a few bucks)
F4AZ-7F247-A 1-2 Accumulator Retainer Cover
F7AZ-7F251-AA 1-2 Accumulator Piston
F7AZ-7F284-BA 1-2 Accumulator Lower Spring (again, you may not need this one if yours isn't broken. It's about $40)
F7AZ-7H292-AB 2-3 Accumulator Piston
F6AZ-7A098-A Filter
XW7Z-7D100-AA Separator Plate Gasket
1L3Z-7C155-AA Separator Plate Gasket

Get the Dorman 265-813 deep sump pan with a drain plug instead of the Ford one without. Makes for faster/cleaner fluid drains later on. The gasket is re-usable but it's probably worth replacing it now anyway. :)

There is also this write-up article. I haven't cleaned it up yet, but it's still usable.

according to my ford dealer----the lower separator gasket is for the later valve body.
the one for 94-5--F2VY7C155A is obsolete. might be able to get one from a dealer in wis.
also, both accumulator springs are now obsolete. gonna order a sonnax pressure reg valve and spring also. as far as the springs ? have to look. any help appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,171 Posts
That sounds right. I realized that when I looked at some older posts but forgot to update the P/Ns - I guess it's a moot point if they're obsolete now. Your springs may be OK, especially if you aren't experiencing harsh shifts now; I would consider just re-using them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
im sitting here going through 45 pages of 4r70w posts. more confused now than when i started. ebay has been my friend on gaskets . ordered a bunch of sonnax parts. ford dealer has accumulators and some other stuff comin. 2-3 acc spring are left out i guess. maybe just use old 1-2 acc spring unless some knows a better setup for the light setting. any other help appreciated.

·
SuperNewbie
3,592 Posts
im sitting here going through 45 pages of 4r70w posts. more confused now than when i started. ebay has been my friend on gaskets . ordered a bunch of sonnax parts. ford dealer has accumulators and some other stuff comin. 2-3 acc spring are left out i guess. maybe just use old 1-2 acc spring unless some knows a better setup for the light setting. any other help appreciated.
If you want to PM me, I can help. Send me a list of what you need and I can call my supplier and have them ship it to you. I get this stuff all the time.

·
Super Moderator
12,767 Posts
PATC has all the parts.

Reactions: RalphP

·
Registered
448 Posts
all thats left is a violet spring # F7AZ-7Z284-A. have tracked down nos separator gaskets.
ford has accumulators and cover. got a sonnax main pressure reg valve and elevated pressure spring..servo pin kit just in case . while im there should i get a boost valve and
the o ringed end plug kit ? want to do this once. keep in mind this trans has no problems now.just want to make it better. i have no idea if i have 1 or both 1-2 accumulator springs
did dump all fluid , merc v and big trans pan. no sludge, but it had been changed before, i believe. no shipping plug. wow! theres a half hr of typing with 2 fingers ! joe- just looked at your link- hadnt seen aftermarket separator
gaskets advertised b4. oh well, learn a lot new every day .thank you !

Reactions: Rodeo Joe

·
Super Moderator
12,767 Posts
PATC.com has all those parts.
if the

·
SuperNewbie
3,592 Posts
The aftermarket makes the purple spring now. They don't cost much. There is no harm at all in using the O ringed end plug kit.

·
Registered
448 Posts
got a purple one .looking for the violet. wish there was a spring rate chart for all the colors from ford. got the list of applications
and part #s.

·
SuperNewbie
3,592 Posts
got a purple one .looking for the violet. wish there was a spring rate chart for all the colors from ford. got the list of applications
and part #s.
purple and violet are the same thing in that world. Don't sweat it. It's the right spring. IF Ford was using slightly different shades of the same color on the assembly line everything would be totally willy nilly. That's why some are bright blue, or yellow, or brown etc.

Reactions: irvin

·
Registered
448 Posts
thank you ! either gonna run the stock upper 1-2 spring if it has one or the light blue
and the purple bottom. it sounds like i take out the 2-3 spring, even for the light setting.
all parts should be here next week. pure stock drags coming up in michigan, so hopefully after that .

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Registered
448 Posts
anyone have a 94 valve body they took out of a junk trans? am interested in the separator
plate. for my 94. please let me know. thanks --irv

·
Super Moderator
12,767 Posts
I've bought parts from PATC; they have everything.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts