TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for those of you that dont know I am building a 4R70W for my tbird. 3800-4200 stall converter, performance aod clutches, mechanical diod conversion, sure cure sonnax kit, blah blah blah etc...

So its time for me to do a j-mod and thru my little bit of research i've read some things about setting up the j-mod for a certain hp? I'm not sure what to do to make it the correct hp setting...

If it helps I am currently (very very very slowly) building another motor to swap in... PI heads, aggressive cam (built valvetrain), some sort of forged rotating assembly (not sure if it will remain a 4.6L or if I will bore/stroke it), and I would love to do some sort of power adder ie: vortech or n2o or both, either way I want to run high boost or a 150+/- shot of n2o.

I dont plan on installing this trans until the motor is ready to go in but if it matters current mods to the car are as follows...

- 70mm accufab throttle body
- C&L upper plenum
- frpp 4.10:1 gear
- Torsen T2 differential
- MAC cai
- tune
- dumped exhaust
- PI cam
- 3.5in aluminum d.s

I would like answers about the J-MOD not that I need to upgrade half shafts, or that I will blow up my intake with n2o etc..

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
The "HP setting" is just another way of saying how fast the shifts/clutches engage/disengage. The more HP you make, the faster your clutches need to be applied and released in order to reduce wear and heat optimally.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So with my planned mods I am unaware of what hp I will make, Anyone have an idea with such info given what the best setting would be?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
With your current mods the 300 HP setting is fine. But that doesn't mean you can't do the 300-450 settings for firmer shifts.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Im thinking a higher number like 450ish would be nice. Is there a write up or specifics on this J-mod setting?
First I'm not sure why you need the sure fix kit or "AOD" frictions. However Alan at DirtyDog performance can pretty much get you set up with whatever you need as far as parts. The TCCoA tech articles pretty much cover the jmod and j-spec trans builds. There's only a few sonnax parts you'll need and IIRC the sure fix kit isn't one of them.

As far as what level to build to he'll help you with that as well but I'm sure the 350 or gear change setting is sufficient.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Im sure Alan will chime in...

but for the time being i've searched for j-mod set ups and all I find is how to do it. Can you post a link that tells the difference between the different hp settings?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Im sure Alan will chime in...

but for the time being i've searched for j-mod set ups and all I find is how to do it. Can you post a link that tells the difference between the different hp settings?
No but I can tell you once again to read the articles since it's all covered in there.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you NetKeym! Exactly what I wanted to know.

Chris Murder.... If you have a problem with me we can discuss it through a PM.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
If your planning on forged rotating assembly and FI then I would say skip the mild settings and go for the 300+ hp setting? (I forget what it is I haven't done the Jmod in so long..) I would guess you would be 300-350 area but all depends on what aggressive cams, what supercharger, how much boost your running, etc etc

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah that was my plan, I wish it was all done so I would actually know what numbers it would make. Im thinking the 300-450 setting. If anything I can always go back in and change it. :)

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Chris Murder.... If you have a problem with me we can discuss it through a PM.
My only issue with you is your getting frustrated and over defensive over something that has been covered before, and rather then read the recommended material (which contains the answers your looking for) you'd rather have someone spoon feed you on exactly what paragraph and article it's located in.

Trust me as I'll tell you once again that the answer on differences, and what settings for what hp are in the transmission articles. Read them all. Knowledge is power.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html

First 3 are required reading for you IMO.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I can sell u a kit ready to go

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I almost always recommend 300-450 mod unless they are really worried about it shifting to hard,

Robert

1 - 18 of 18 Posts