TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this under drive train but it didn't get too many hits.

I was wondering if anybody knows of a place or somebody who can do a J-mod in around the Plattsburg to Lake Placid area or in around the Detroit area. I'm from North of the border (Toronto) but travel to both areas sometimes and I'm not comfortable with doing the J-mod myself. It seems nobody knows how to do this mod around here, only shift kits. If I can't find anybody, I'm just going to have a TransGO kit installed.

A name and how to contact them would be great.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
A J-Mod is a form of a "shift-kit", it just happens to not come in a box from a catalouge or parts store.

Just take a copy of A-Trains "shifty business", to a tranny shop of your choice, and let them read it. If they do not understand it, then RUN.

Seriously, that's how I had mine J-Modded.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am familiar with the J-Mod and some of the differences from a store bought shift kit. But, no matter how easy everyone says it is to do, If something gets messed up while doing it, it's going to be even more costly in the end. I will print it off and show it to my tranny guy and see what he says if I can't find anybody. But since it's not a big deal and I am in these areas sometimes, I think it would be easier for someone who has done the J-mod and knows exactly what their doing without having to read an article.

Bri

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never knew you could buy just a modded valve body kit. Sounds a little more expensive than just doing the J-Mod though.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Well, if you're ever near Albany, NY, you can call Ralph's Transmission.

The owner read "Shifty Business", and said "this is nothing more than a shift kit.

They did the J-Mod in about 2 hours, and had no problems doing it.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I guess it depends on what part of the J-Mod has you not wanting to do it. Is it being able to do any of it at all (like having a place to work on it), not wanting to take a Mercon bath (dropping the pan), taking out the valve body (real simple), drilling the holes, doing other things while there like the accumulator pistons (which I would recommend, but is the toughest part), or?

I am pretty sure someone here sells complete valve bodies, just the plate (already drilled), and kits that also include updated accumulator pistons.

Personally I found it a very easy to do mod. If you can turn a wrench and can do a basic fluid change on the tranny, drilling the holes is easy. I totally made mine into a "J-Mod for dummies" project, I used a sharpie to mark the holes I needed to drill, I marked the bits I needed to use (the smaller ones are tough to read the size if they are even marked at all).

The accumulator piston was slightly tough, I fought with it because I didn't take everyones recommendations seriously on making sure I had substantial snap ring pliers. I think I had maybe 3 hours into doing it all, including adding an external cooler, draining the TC, draining the radiator (the tranny exchanger part), eating lunch, etc.

I even took out all the check balls (not metal, so don't count on picking them with a magnet) and the screen, and drained every little bit of fluid and cleaned it, let the tranny drip and cleaned out all parts I could get to.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I know it sounds easy enough and I have definitely contemplated doing it myself, I guess I'm just a little worried about messing something up and then looking at $1000+ bill to fix it. If someone knows of a kit I can buy that will include everything I need, maybe I will attempt it on my own.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In looking at the tech articles, which one should I be using, "Installation of J's Shift Improver kit" or "Shifty Business" or should I be looking at both. My brother, who is a little more mechanical than me said he will help me do this. I just want to make sure were following the right article.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I used A-Trains "Shifty Business"

EDIT: on second thought, I took both articles you mentioned to the tranny shop for them to read.

Basically, the J-Mod is;

1. Upgrading and/or removing accumulator springs and pistons.
2. enlarging certain holes in the separator plate.
3. upgrading certain solenoids & servos
4. replacing the fluid pan (95 or 94 only)

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=78302

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, last question on this. Where would one normally go out and buy all these parts, Ford or a reputable tranny shop? It would be nice if someone had some sort of kit.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
pm rodeo joe....he loves to do jmods in his driveway!! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts