TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing research and im trying to decide which is better. Should i go with the jmod or should i run to summit and get this shift kit. i replaced my rear end with a limited slip 3.73. Just wasn't some quicker firmer shifts any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,789 Posts
Hands down J-Mod is your best bet. See RobertP's web add in my sig or PM him he sells pre-made kits.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
J-mod is a shift kit - definately your best bet for shifting written by a former Ford transmission engineer. There are a few other kits available, depending on which one you are looking at from Summit .. the Transgo kit does some strange things like adding an external pressure relief valve which was not recommended by the author of the J-mod.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,367 Posts
The J-mod is a shift kit designed by one of the Ford engineers who designed the 4R70W. Hands down your best option.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
JMod x4.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Yes jmod I've kits in stock

Robert

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Definitely J-mod....I mean, it was designed by the transmission engineer! lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did some research on it and frankly I don't understand why people would trade extra trans wear and reduced power just to get "that signature slushbox feel"... can anything good be said about shift overlap?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,367 Posts
I have a feeling Ford's engineers determined the life expectancy on the unit with the amount of slip and wear experienced under normal driving conditions and found that it met or exceeded the target life expectancy of the vehicle or powertrain as a whole.

The MN12 was never marketed as a performance automobile to compete with the Mustang... It was marketed as a "Personal Luxury Coupe" - harsh shifts don't fit in with the term "Luxury" as one would see it from the factory.

·
Registered
70 Posts
110 delivered
Do you have one for a 1994 4R70W , and what is included , and also what else do you recommend that I replace while I'm in there ? Also I had a tune done last summer and this changed the shift points/quality , will I need a retune ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
makes sense I guess, the T-bird is less like a big Mustang and more like a small Lincoln :)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Yes I have the the 94 kits in stock it comes with accumulators both 1 and 2 and both valve body gaskets, the new springs for the 1-2 accumulator and a filter usually they come with the 96 and newer filter as I do recommend changing to. The newer style pan as it helps with fluid starvation and the trans should last a long time then

Robert

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry to waste your time Robert , I already have the majority of the parts listed. I must have misunderstood your web site , I thought that there might be a modified separator plate in the kit .I'm sure we'll get another chance to do business.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Yes it does come with a modified seperator plate hence why I need the old plate back, I've posted this numerous times here on the forum, the only thing the kit is missing is fluid and tools

Robert

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes it does come with a modified seperator plate hence why I need the old plate back, I've posted this numerous times here on the forum, the only thing the kit is missing is fluid and tools

Robert
Okay , I'll take one. How do we proceed ? I assume you need some details and maybe a little cash. The car is still put up for the winter and I won't be able to get it out for at least a month , I'm in the parts gathering stage right now. I did see someone selling one of your kits and making reference to sending you the removed separator plate , but that's the only time I've ever seen it mentioned.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Ill pm u, sorry it's been a rough 2 weeks and ive had late nights working

1 - 20 of 20 Posts