TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waddup Ya'll... i got a probably stupid question but i just need it answered real quick. I recently purchased a J-modded seperator plate from RobertP...Thanks MAN:headbang:! anywho... i am taking it to a tranny shop to get it installed..only becuz i cannot do it by myself lol, dont have the experience..anyways, they shop is gonna charge $200:znanner: for a full tranny flush and fill including the seperator plate swap. now the question i have is can i just print this out --->http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/shiftybusiness.shtml
and take it to them as directions on how to do it:zdunno:? or what should i do...anyhelp would be great thanks guys

-Jeremy

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,572 Posts
If this tranny shop is worth their salt, they should be able to replace the separator plate on the valve body without a step by step guide....

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The plate they can do ... pretty straight forward ....
... might be a good idea to write a simple explanation of any pistons or springs you want put in.

Brown spring on top of 1-2 accum piston, purple spring under 1-2 accum piston ... assuming those are the colors you have which they may not be?

Also, on 2-3 Accum piston if they are to put any springs back or no?

Keep it simple, but recall these guys are used to putting parts back in their original applications. If the colors change, anybody's guess where they end up unless you keep it simple and let them know.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah u see im not sure what springs robertP gave me... he did it for the 300-450 set up...i guess i should open up the package and see wat springs he gave me also huh...that might help lmao. my bird has 118K...you think a tranny flush would be bad for it?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I've never done a tranny flush and I can't begin to tell you how many I've done since my first in the '70s.

On my T-bird I just drain pan and torque converter and refill. I know some swear by flushes but that's a more recent deal. Do you know ifit's ever been changed yet?

You could print that paper out and just circle the parts about your transmission ... or look in the box and see if Robert included any instructions?

Drop Robert a message about the springs real quick, might catch him on line still.

Chances are there's a couple of springs in the box and they ain't the same color as what comes out.

You may even have a broken spring in the 1-2 accumulator, I did at only a little over 62K.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
IMO $200 is a VERY fair price for the scope of work you describe.

BUT... while they had the Main VB down it would be BEST to also:

- Check the 1-2 Accumulator Piston & Springs & optimize.
- Pull all Springs from 2-3 Accumulator.
- Clean pocket above O/D Servo,

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
When I had my trans rebuilt a few years ago, the shop did their own "j-mod" - as with replacing servos, O/D band, accum pistons/springs, etc, etc. I guess it helps when the tech doing the rebuild was a Ford mechanic for 20+ years. They did one hell of a job - little mom and pop place that was in a sh!thole of a neighborhood lol. The trans shifts well and chirps on the 1-2.

$200 is pretty damn fair - I second that notion. Most places will charge $125+ just to drain and refill with Mercon V - keep in mind, labor at most shops runs over $80/hr!

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,572 Posts
For clarification - replacing and upgrading the accumulator pistons alone technically isn't the J-mod; the redrilling of the separator plate holes to Jerry's specs is. Most people go in to do the J-mod and replace the accumulators and pull/replace springs while they're at it to prevent possible problems in the future and to further adjust the response of the shifts. So it's easy to think of both procedures when the term J-mod is used.

To the OP - also be sure they clean the pan magnet and replace the filter while they're there. $20 worth of parts and five minutes of labor that could save you some headaches in the future.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
IMO when JMODDING these older Tranny's your NUTS not to do ALL the above AND check for worn EPC & Upgrade your old smaller O/D Servo & Upgrade a few Main VB sub-assemblies with Sonnax parts, Clean Main VB Square Strainer & the Cone Strainer, etc... - You are already IN THERE so ....????

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well u see i'd love to do all that stuff but i am running on a very...very tight budget:thumbsd:... plus i still need new tires/struts/shocks lol...plus i just dropped $250 on my driver side front suspension:facepalm:...its sucks.. but i at least wanna change the fluid/filter and install the new plates with springs. plus i have no clue if its ever been changed before, i highly doubt it.:zdunno::zdunno:

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
if the shop has any clue at all about the 4R70W, they will know about the newer style pistons

if they don't know about it, they will argue about the logic of drilling the plate and try to drill other things...

i had a shop do mine once.. and they drilled a hole in what they called a pressure regulator in the VB..... my trans stopped shifting about 6months after that after 6years of no problems

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Well he got all new accumulaters
Which he knows he's ssinf that's the full charge for the install

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yup, i checked it out and i got everything i need! thanks again "RopertP" cant wait to see how my bird acts after i get it installed. thanks everyone!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts