TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i've got a 97 4.6L and I've searched for the exact part numbers for my bird and it's just confusing sorting through all that stuff. Do I need a new pan? I want to keep this mod as cheap as possible. Anyone that has done it have any regrets? Should I leave out the 2 - 3 spring? Can someone answer these questions? Also: Please list all the part numbers I need... keeping in mind I don't want anything that isnt necessary. Thanks guys!

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
AnthraxBird said:
OK, i've got a 97 4.6L and I've searched for the exact part numbers for my bird and it's just confusing sorting through all that stuff. Do I need a new pan? I want to keep this mod as cheap as possible. Anyone that has done it have any regrets? Should I leave out the 2 - 3 spring? Can someone answer these questions? Also: Please list all the part numbers I need... keeping in mind I don't want anything that isnt necessary. Thanks guys!
You shouldn't need a new pan, unless you want one with a drain plug. Drain plugs are nice, or you can drain it via the aux. trans coolers....you have one of those too...right :)

The 2-3 accumulator is rather small...spring not needed. The shift will be much firmer...but not excessive...just a nice clean shift.

Do I have any regrets about the J mod? Yes....I shoulda paid more attention. It would have gone faster. If you're gonna do it, give yourself PLENTY of time...I went on someone else's schedule...ended up trying to do it starting at 7pm... all by myself (they were busy working on their cars instead of helping). Now that it's all said and done, I have no OD...

So please, give yourself plenty of time and trust your abilities.

If you haven't gotten your drill bits, you can get them from McMaster - Carr

Have a moderator move this to 'drivetrain'....

**edit**

Might want to look in this thread as well....there are part numbers there.....

**edit**

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 - 2 Accumulator F7AZ-7F251-AA
1 - 2 Top Spring F75Z-7F284-AA
1 - 2 Bottom Spr F7AZ-7F284-BA
2 - 3 Accumulator F7AZ-7H292-BA
2 - 3 Spring F7AZ-7F285-AA
2.7" OS S. Spring F87Z-7F201-AA
Seperator Gask. F7AZ-7C155-AA
Seperator Gask. XW7Z-7D100-AA

Do these part #'s sound correct? Is it all I need for the "mild" setting? Could I reuse my filter, etc? Thanks guys!

·
2,028 Posts
AnthraxBird said:
1 - 2 Accumulator F7AZ-7F251-AA
1 - 2 Top Spring F75Z-7F284-AA
1 - 2 Bottom Spr F7AZ-7F284-BA
2 - 3 Accumulator F7AZ-7H292-BA
2 - 3 Spring F7AZ-7F285-AA
2.7" OS S. Spring F87Z-7F201-AA
Seperator Gask. F7AZ-7C155-AA
Seperator Gask. XW7Z-7D100-AA

Do these part #'s sound correct? Is it all I need for the "mild" setting? Could I reuse my filter, etc? Thanks guys!
Would you reuse your oil filter on your engine? .....
Get a new filter for the transmission....you can reuse the pan gasket as long as it's not torn or damaged in any way.

I probably didn't edit in time before you posted...... I threw this into my last post...

**edit**

Might want to look in this thread as well....there are part numbers there.....

**edit**

I think shawn40th has all the 'new' numbers

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it pretty self-explanatory to install the springs and accumulators once you get the main control unit out? This should be my last question... Im going to do it on this Saturday =) Thanks !

·
2,028 Posts
AnthraxBird said:
Is it pretty self-explanatory to install the springs and accumulators once you get the main control unit out? This should be my last question... Im going to do it on this Saturday =) Thanks !

As the article says, make sure you have QUALITY snap ring pliers. I had a cheap pair from Harbor Freight (my friend lent them to me)....horrible little buggers.

As for 'self explanitory'...it's pretty straight forward. Be careful when you remove the accumulators and servos...some of them will jump out at you...

I cannot stress this enough: be careful when you do the OD servo. You must be especially vigilant when it comes to getting the tip of the OD servo to touch the OD band...if you dont, you will have NO overdrive (like me)...if you do screw it up, you can fix it by just reinstalling the OD servo....

hopefully, your schedule is not as packed and time constrained as mine.....

Good Luck! let eveyrone know how it turned out and how it shifts.

P.S. Watch them check balls.....

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I work full time with school =) weekends off. I've got 6 pairs of snap-on ring pliers =) (i use them ALOT... aircraft engines have them everywhere.. there are like 10 alone on the crankshaft balencers...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts