TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one done the j modon the 4 r70w mustang trans? if so what size bits do you need. they are on the tech articals but they are in descimals and i dont no how to convert them to fractions. i was bad at math. Any help would be great. don

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
google is thy friend Don. :tongue:

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I would guess there are a large number of Mustangs with 4R70Ws that have been JModed.

If it is a post 1997 one or 2000 or newer than most of the information here isn't as relevent as it is for us, you need to find an updated one (since other than the 98 Mark VIII 97 was the last year for these cars). There is a document floating around on crownvic.net for 2000+ cars.

All the sizes listed for all levels and holes are commonly available bits, you don't need to convert them to fractional, you can get them in the decimal/numbered size. Obviously some of the exact decimal ones (0.125- 1/8) you would get 1/8, but the numbered ones like 20 and 3 you can get singly or in a big ol box o'bits. I found them all at Graingers, and almost ordered them when I went to my moms shop and they had this 3 feet tall by 20 feet wide wooden/glass display of thousands of bits, multiples per fractional/decimal/numbered sizes and just got them from her. I have the bag of them next to me now!

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
don, i have jmodded an '01 before. i have the bits for the 300-450 hp range, but i dont know the sizes off the top of my head.

you're bad at math? did you struggle in english, too? :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
warmaster259 said:
google is thy friend Don. :tongue:
McMaster-Carr is your other friend. Get the bits from them, cheap, quick, via mail order, and in the correct sizes. Home Depot and Lowes aren't goin to have the exact sizes.

Depends on what year Mustang you're doing. I did "the mod" to a 94 GT with the AOD-E. The article covers those as well.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i got it except for the one your sopose to make an oval. any one no where it is or number and size? thanks for the help so far. don

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
terraplane8 said:
McMaster-Carr is your other friend.
I meant about converting metric to SAE. :tongue:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so you just drill it round the same size as the hole, or do you make it an oval the size of the hole? sorry for all the ?s but i want to do it right. thanks don

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I did the mild settings, so I didn't change the "slot" shown for the "OD Server exhaust" and reading about it I didn't change it (I didn't follow all the mild settings, some I varied because I hate stuff like the 13 seconds to engage reverse and the 2 mph manual first gear selection).

I don't think this particular one matters, but I don't remember you stating what year tranny it is and what settings you are doing. in addition to making the slot bigger you need to open up the size of the slot in the gasket. I don't know if it is just a gasket change or not, I doubt it but I could be wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts