TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really enjoy my jmodded trans, just as much as the next guy.

However now on a hard launch and the consequent 1-2 shift the car slips out of all gears puts no power down and the engine revs to the heavens.

Im thinking that I might just rebuild it but I dont want to go through all the trouble if it's something smaller.

Car has ~175K on the original trans, fluid is clean and full, J-mod has two springs on the new design 1-2 accumulator and 1 on the 2-3.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I really enjoy my jmodded trans, just as much as the next guy.

However now on a hard launch and the consequent 1-2 shift the car slips out of all gears puts no power down and the engine revs to the heavens.

Im thinking that I might just rebuild it but I dont want to go through all the trouble if it's something smaller.

Car has ~175K on the original trans, fluid is clean and full, J-mod has one spring on the new design 1-2 accumulator and 2 on the 2-3.
You put 1 spring on the 1-2 accumulator piston and 2 springs on the 2-3 accumulator piston? :confused:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless I got it backwards... its been fine for three years its just recently been acting up

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Oh, you failed to mention you did the j-mod 3 years ago. Yeh, if you put 1 and 2 springs back in, it had to be 2 springs one 1-2 (one on top, one on bottom), and 1 spring on 2-3 (one on top).

Regardless, back to your original problem. I had that problem when I first did my j-mod except it didn't happen at WOT, but at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. The car would act like it shifted to 2nd for just an instant, then pop out like it went to neutral. I just kind of ignored it because it didn't happen all the time and it seemed to have went away by itself.

In your case (as I was told could be my problem by some here), the lack of a mechanical diode was known to be weak area in pre-98 transmissions. Sounds like that is your problem, but I'm no expert by any means.

You'll hear from some more experienced here shortly, I'm sure. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
One way clutch Is gone will it go into the limiter on the 1-2 if u don't let out of it?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Yep Clutch = Gone. With that many miles it might be time for a rebuild.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One way clutch Is gone will it go into the limiter on the 1-2 if u don't let out of it?
damn skippy. thats the ticket... Good thing I have a week off coming up soon.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also while i have everyones attention, what brand should I go with for the rebuild kit? and what other parts besides the converter will i need not included in a kit

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I use transtar kits, either a new overdrive band or the heavyduty one if it's just a basic rebuild

Robert

·
Registered
77 Posts
Instead of a rebuild i bet you could find a cheap low mile 4R from a junkyard.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think i can do it my self and just get a $200 kit, I just dont want to pull it or put it back in, but I will to save $1100-$1500. I guess im going to do a marauder converter and mark viii flexplate while its out.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Did you ever get a converter for this? I have one for a Marauder if you are interested.

SWS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts