TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car blog Jalopnik is having a muscle car faceoff bracket for march madness where everyday two muscle cars face off and one gets eliminated. In the running is the 1992 Ford Thunderbird SC. Go here to vote for the MN12, it is only staying in the running today by a 51/49 margin. If it survives today it goes up against the Buick GNX tomorrow, that's going to be a tough one to beat.

Jalopnik March Muscle Car Madness

Perhaps someone here could crosspost this on SCCoA? They would probably love to vote for the '92 SC. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
I'd vote for the GNX simply because it's an actual muscle car by definition, SCs aren't. And why is it a 92? 89s have the best performance stats and 94s have the most power.

Plus Jalopnik sucks.

edit: whoever compiled that list doesn't even know what the hell a muscle car is. 1977 delta 88 pace car? Gremlin X? spirit AMX? really?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd vote for the GNX simply because it's an actual muscle car by definition, SCs aren't. And why is it a 92? 89s have the best performance stats and 94s have the most power.

Plus Jalopnik sucks.

edit: whoever compiled that list doesn't even know what the hell a muscle car is. 1977 delta 88 pace car? Gremlin X? spirit AMX? really?
They needed 64 cars so they did some questionable vehicles but they figured they would be eliminated quickly anyways. I'm not sure why a '92 but w/e.

Whats wrong with Jalopnik?

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
Faux journalism, highly biased writers, seldom factual content, super irritating comments section, and just a generally poor site layout(my script blocker goes crazy!). At least that's how it was when I stopped visiting it.

The questionable cars in this poll are prime examples.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Faux journalism, highly biased writers, seldom factual content, super irritating comments section, and just a generally poor site layout(my script blocker goes crazy!). At least that's how it was when I stopped visiting it.

The questionable cars in this poll are prime examples.
The journalism and quality has noticeably gone down recently but its still an entertaining site to read. The writers are biased but then again they are writing from the perspective of auto enthusiasts so I suppose we are all biased for and against certain vehicles, technologies, companies, etc. I used to think their site layout sucked but I have gotten used to it and its not so bad once they worked the kinks out. I actually find the comments section rather entertaining, its better than those on the other Gawker sites by a long shot.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
I'm going through this with a few friends here at work. I was 13/16 first round. I picked the SC to beat the Maverick, but I don't see it beating the GNX.

The GNX sucks too. Weird choice for a 92 SC ..
GNX sucks? Really? I mean the Grand National is pretty even with the SC, but the GNX is a step above. They're rated mid-high 13's stock, which for '87 is pretty legit.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I'm going through this with a few friends here at work. I was 13/16 first round. I picked the SC to beat the Maverick, but I don't see it beating the GNX.

GNX sucks? Really? I mean the Grand National is pretty even with the SC, but the GNX is a step above. They're rated mid-high 13's stock, which for '87 is pretty legit.
Really ?? Its an 80's GM .. who cares how fast the thing goes in a straight line .. its an ugly piece of garbage.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Really ?? Its an 80's GM .. who cares how fast the thing goes in a straight line .. its an ugly piece of garbage.
Thats how I feel, the Fox Birds were decades ahead in styling, I think they captured the straight forward upright muscle car look in a more timeless way than the slabsided barn GNX. You cant argue with the GNXs performance stats but you CAN argue that its hideous.

However one of my good friends is a GM enthusiast and he thinks that the late model Thunderbirds (Fox and MN12) couldn't be more ugly, yet he loves the buck-toothed saw-edge GNX...

Its all about perspective I suppose.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
The GN and GNX weren't bad looking cars, IMO. They're just GM cheap heaps that I wouldn't care to drive.

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
I like the looks too. But otherwise GM in the 80s did suck

And also yes, the Fox Tbirds, Cougars and Marks alone blew GM away. Best looking lineup Ford ever had was in the 80s. Too bad they blew it in the mid 90s.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
I'm shocked there's 143 fans of these cars lol

I'm irritated by the promo picture. That's not a GNX or a SuperCoupe. Just a regular Grand National and a 96 LX with an ugly body kit.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I'm shocked there's 143 fans of these cars lol

I'm irritated by the promo picture. That's not a GNX or a SuperCoupe. Just a regular Grand National and a 96 LX with an ugly body kit.
I agree about the T-bird in the promo pic (although body kits are a personal preferance imo), but that is almost 100% a GNX sitting next to it.

Edit: I think your right it is just a regular Grand National there. Jeeze I need to get some glasses :D

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
GNX identifiers - black lace wheels, fender flares and port hole louvers on the fender where the GN decal is normally located.

Body kit preferences aside(I hate them lol) It just is a real half assed picture choice since it's not only the wrong year and model, but it badly represents the car as a whole. This is why I dislike Jalopnik!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Those Grand Nationals were the fastest production cars of their year. They're great cars!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Yeah they were the fastest in a straight line, they also handled pretty good for their time imo.

Some people like Drag Racing, some like Road Courses, some like Drifting, some want their car to just be a reliable DD, and some want all of the above..... honestly who cares what your preferance is as long as your having fun doing it, and in doing that you are building a following for these and other great cars so they don't have to be junked and crushed.

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
The GNXs had a torque arm/panhard bar setup on the rear end so it handled better than contemporary G-bodies at least. Still though by 87 it was muscle car handling compared to, say, any car that helped erode GMs market share in the 80s

1 - 20 of 24 Posts