TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had an exhaust leak passenger side for some time now. I currently have JBA shortys on the car now. As I suspected the weld is broke all the way around the back port. I pulled the motor and trans because I'm doing a lot of work to the car right now. So my question is..... Should I weld the JBA or put the stock manifolds back on? I'll be buying kooks next year so they'll be coming out anyway. I guess with the car being supercharged I'm unsure of how much they really help. So would putting the stock manifolds back on even make a difference?

Thanks
Larry

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
get em braincoated.. if he's still doin it :)

those helped.. ask Rob

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well at this point I just need to mainly get the car back running. I'm waiting on the new transmission now. So when that comes it needs to be put back together. Besides my next penny on the exhaust is gonna be towards the kooks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
are you any good with a welder?? if the motor is already out of the car. hell should be a no brain'er but thats just me.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I can weld. And I just heard that the headers were junk. Which is why im asking

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
yeah it have read it on here over and over about shorties cracking. The stock manifold can support a lot but I think it would choke down your power level with that blower. If youre gettin kooks might as well be cheap about it until then.

·
Registered
124 Posts
ohh ok. if your not looking to spend money to save for kooks i would just weld them up. soo im curious what happened to your tranny?? did it turn into a grenade? i thought you were all set to come to the Dyno days..

Im all done school in 3 weeks and im pretty excited for work on larry's car day it would be good to meet someone else who has a love for tbirds. around here they all get raped and frowned uppon for some reason. always made my day in Highschool when i would make the puss whos mom and dad bought him a camaro cry when i smoked him in a race with my 3800lbs of Thunderbird =)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well another thing Ive heard is that they dont flow any better then the stock manifolds. So im hear looking for the actual answer to that and also with porting the stockers will out flow JBA's all day

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Guys have seen big power with the stock manifolds turbos and blowers. There not all that restrictive the worst however is the nasty kink on the driver side outlet.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Since your getting kooks anyway just grind down the area through the coating (assuming they are coated) and re-weld the effected primary tube. The jba headers seem to suffer on that drivers side rear primary tube weld cracking idk what the cause is but they seem to crack more often than not on supercharged applications especially on the first generation jba/ss autochrome headers. The second gen jba's have the flange seperated at that point at have the tube supported independently from the others with bracing bars attached to the ball/collector. I've yet to hear of 1 case of failed jba's on gen 2's in a n/a application with flex braided down tubes. I bought a pair of cracked jba's from jurgen for a template for my local exhaust fab guy to make me custom midlegth headers.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I'll just throw the stock manifolds back on. I don't think the JBA's hekp the car at all.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh an this is the passenger side which does have bracing from the flange to the port. So maybe they are gen 2? Either way the stockers are going back on for now. So if anyone wants these headers after I weld them I'll ditch them for cheap cheap.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
If you are truely good at welding, then I say weld them.
If you are worried about the thin metal on the headers, don't be. Just take your time when welding them.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its been cleared

1 - 15 of 15 Posts