TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at getting 4 of the JBL GTO8627 Grand Touring Series 6X8s. Here they are on Crutchfield. Has anybody run these? Are they a pretty nice sounding speaker? I'm not looking for anything spectacular. I'm just looking for a nice drop in speaker to replace the worn out, 15 year old :eek: stock speakers :D. They're gonna be powered by a JVC KD-SH707 HU. I'm considering them, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say first.

·
Super Moderator
11,175 Posts
I have a pair of those...

They sound pretty good, but you might want something with better bass response, unless you have subs.

They break up and sound flat over about 60 watts; but I haven't blown one yet, and I've had these about two years.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The speakers are pretty tough (had a set since 2001 and still going). I have them on a JBL 75.4 amp (the older ones that are black and look ugly as hell). They really sound good when the xover is set at about 100-120 hz and the gain is about 3/4 of the way up, however the top end is kinda flat for my taste.

·
Registered
709 Posts
They are kick ***. I have Infinity Reference 6x8s in my car right now. JBL and Infinity are owned by the same company they are both great speakers but I have been told the Infinitys are ever so slighty better (the tweeter material is not the same) But they are both GREAT sounding speakers. I have been thru MANY a speaker and these are the BEST sounding esp off deck power as they are efficient. I got them on sale to they rarely go one sale but I saved %40 on them.

·
Super Moderator
11,175 Posts
I've ran over 100Wrms into mine, while not paying attention, and haven't smoked them; that's a lot better than some.

Nothing like hitting a bump while cranking it up, and going to silence, in a smoke filled car...

(Modified sanyo amp, jensen 6x9's, two pyle 12's, all trash in less than a second...)

That was in an '81 Subaru...car rusted in half at 258,000 miles...:D

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have mine in and I think they sound great until distortion starts. By then they're plenty loud. They definitely sound 1000x better than the worn out stock non-premium speakers. :D

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I've had my Pioneer 6x8s for about 5+ years in 4 vehicles (all Ford). Finally blew one the other day. It's kinda popping, so I turned everything to the front. Need to replace the rears if I keep my Bronco.

Some 6.5"s should fit in fine. Get some components for around $100. Make a plate for the hole and mount everything to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts