TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. i have the streight 6 258. the water pump was leaking and appeared to be the original pump from 81! so we replaced it and the gasket. the gaskets from both the pump and the felpro gaskets didnt match up and elaked really bad. got a roll or gasket material and made our own, stopped the leak. next the thermostat was needed to be changed along with the gasket. changed both. did a full cooling system flush and refilled it. turned it over to fill the block and added more until the cooling system was full again. capped it checked all hoses, all connected and tight. started it up and antifreeze is dripping from the thermostat housing. we thought it might not have gotten a good enough seal so we decided to pull it off again get another thermo housing gasket. put that on with gorilla snot (3m super weather strip adhesive/maker) put it on there and let it set. still leaked. so as we were tightning down the bolts a little more incase it didnt get a good seal the bottom part of the housing cracked. we lined the whole edge of the gasket with a really tacky clear blue gasket sealer, made for repairing external leaks. no luck. have a steady drip of about 4 - 5 dripps a second when it runs. it is not over heating right now and since it is my daily, and only, driver i am forced to drive it to work today.

All of the gasket sealers had time to tack up before the gaskets were placed on them. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what we are doing wrong that would cause the t-stat housing to leak (before we cracked the base of it from over tightning)???? PLEASE HELP!

Thanx ahead of time,
Dan

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alloy.....we believe the thermostat fell out of its groove in the housing and there is a gap between the seal and the block or the seal has a gap between the seal and the housing. ill let ya know tho. thank you for your help.

The website didnt give me n e thing. it was for a different type of jeep.... thanx tho

Dan

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Maybe the thermostat housing was already cracked and leaking, and the crack only became apparent when you tightened it. Or it could have been what you said, that the thermostat fell out of place. It happens. You can just buy a new housing, right?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well good news is i am not leaking formt he t-stat housing or water pump n e mroe. bad news is i am still leaking, even worse news is that it look like it is comin from the crank pulley. n e one??? ne one????

·
Registered
814 Posts
Are you sure it's not leaking from the seep hole on the pump itself? The seep hole is in front of the pump bearing. I've worked on a lot of 258's and it all sounds weird.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it may be the seep hole.....the only place that i have been able to look at it is at work. the pump is brand new tho. its not a reman, it brand spankin new. ill be mad as hell if i got a bad pump and now the shop will charge me the $60 an hour to fix what i can do on my own. oh well i guess it is better to be safe than sorry. plus theres a waranty on the pump so they can take it off run it to the advance auto right next to them exchange it out and poof new free wp. hmmm i wonder if i can get the water pump company to absorbt he labor charges for a bad pump....if it is the pump (finger crossed it is only that!).

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts