TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On saturday, I got off work, drove over to the used car lot, where they had a 2006 Jeep wrangler. It was a 4.0 V6 with a 6-speed manual trans, and a canvas top. I drove it a bit, and I absolutely loved everything about it. I don't know that I would buy one that new, simply because of the price, but I am thinking that would be a really fun second vehicle. I will not get rid of the bird, but I really want a Jeep. I am not opposed to an older AMC jeep either, but it has to be a CJ5/CJ7/Wrangler, nothing newer than 06, i don't really like the new ones.

Not looking to do any insane off roading or anything, does anybody have opinions or knowledge on them?

Earl

·
Registered
95 Posts
one of my friends used to have one it was nice, had a 3 inches lift, rancho suspension, and super swamper tires,we went off-road several times

i think that a stock one can be good but he said that the worst problem that he had was the fuel economy.... maybe it was because of the tires and all of that and the use that he gave to the car.

just to finish he sold it and buy a jeep compass and say that he dont regrets it

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
I had an 88 AMC wrangler. Hardtop.
Lots of wind noise on the highway.

·
Super Moderator
7,493 Posts
I've never owned one myself, but I have driven plenty of them, and I know a lot of people who have them. The general consensus is that if you are looking for a daily driver, you will quickly start to hate it, but as a second vehicle that you don't need to depend on or take on any long trips, or drive to and from work every day, they are a lot of fun. From a mechanical standpoint, they are very reliable until you start modifying the drivetrain. With suspension lifts and larger wheels and tires you end up wiping out wheel bearings, axles, U-joints, clutches, etc., but in stock form and for mild off roading, you will likely never have a problem.

·
smoothed and filled red pearl 94
631 Posts
jeeps R 4 fagz.... excuse my internet slang, but you asked for opinions and thats mine. those 30 inch tires and lack of a body (read: zip up windows) are just soooo clown. you could get a real vehicle that doesnt suck and will do everything you want a jeep to do, but doesnt blow fiercely. good luck though.

-John

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I had an 02 wrangler. Very reliable but the gas mileage and heater sucked. I agree with what Mike said about having it as a 2nd vehicle.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Parts for them are all over JC Whitney remember that. Its fun riding in them with no doors or top. As a DD though I agree LOL no good. UNless your commute is 10 miles or less and you dont live where it rains a lot.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Wait 4.0 V6? Is that the crappy one they put in the Pacifica?

I wouldnt get one unless it had the 4.0L I6...

Personally though, I stick to this:

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
It has a I6 not a V6.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
It has a I6 not a V6.
Thats better. It bugs the hell out of me when people screw that up for some reason. Probably because I am quite a big fan of the 4.9L in my F-150...

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My mistake if I called it a V6...habit,i guess. I would love a bronco, but my attraction to the jeep is the canvas fully removable top...pre 78 broncos seem to go for way more than I can afford, unfortunately

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
My mistake if I called it a V6...habit,i guess. I would love a bronco, but my attraction to the jeep is the canvas fully removable top...pre 78 broncos seem to go for way more than I can afford, unfortunately
Yeah, EB prices are ridiculous. I think I like FSBs better anyway, and they are still pretty nice with the top removed. They sell a ton of aftermarket kits to put canvas tops on FSBs, I know quite a few people that have them. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
I say get a XJ :) AKA the box style cherokee.. My 98 that my wife drives and she loves it. Does only get about 18-20 miles to the gallon. But thats with a 3inch sky jacker lift, 31x10.5 mickies, rubicon express bilit throttle body, K&N full intake tube, headers, newer style intake manifold, mandraul cat back, 40s flowmaster and a custom 4x4 fabercation front bumper. Yea it's sexy lol It's all black, with black wheels and blacked out windows. It's only got 3.55 gears, I'm going to go to 4.10's soon. So I can get a little more out of it and maybe some more MPG. IF you don't go over a 3 inch lift you wont have any driving issues or wear and tear issues.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
My cousin has a pretty slick wrangler. I was impressed with it when it was stock (Loved that you could disconnect and reconnect the sway bars with an electric switch from inside the Truck! lol) He swore he was gonna leave it stock... I laughed and said "uh huh.... sure" I know him, he couldn't leave it alone if he tried.

Photobucket it is then...

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
My cousin has a pretty slick wrangler. I was impressed with it when it was stock (Loved that you could disconnect and reconnect the sway bars with an electric switch from inside the Truck! lol) He swore he was gonna leave it stock... I laughed and said "uh huh.... sure" I know him, he couldn't leave it alone if he tried.

Photobucket it is then...
Cool Jeep! I could quite go for one of them. Having sold my T-topped Firebird, I miss the open air feeling. Putting the windows down on the Bird just isn't the same....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts