TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about power to weight ratios.... so I thought: Why not take the seats out of our cars when racing? Like, the passenger and rear bench, along with spare tire and whatnot. I wonder how much weight that would take off the car? Any guesses?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
A good rule of thumb when removing weight for the sake of performance is this. Every 100lbs = .1sec off your ET. I only tried it by having my girlfriend act as a weight change. When she got out of the car, it dropped an actual .12sec off my ET and she weighed 124 lbs at the time. As for how much your seats weigh, I have no idea.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was actually thinking about that...but how hard is it to pull them out and put them in again? (rear seats, that is)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a stinkin' Lincoln and its back seat pops in and out pretty easily. Since your car is similar, I'd imagine it'd be easy too. Bottom pops out, top has two bolts down low.

However, that huge rear seat in my car maybe weighs 10 pounds? It's incredibly light. I was told the front seats were true pigs as far as weight goes but I'm not gutting my car for a few lousy tenths at best. I can gain a few tenths just by learning to launch the thing ;) Why, I'd probably shave an entire half second if someone else drove the car :)

·
Registered
970 Posts
Yeah right, there is no way that the front seat, rear bench (rear foam rather) and spare would save you that much. The rear seat is probably good for 2 lbs tops. The spare tire might get you 10 lbs. The passanger seat might take 50lbs but thats wishfull thinking.

-danimal

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The front seat doesn't weight moe then 50lbs. The rear seat MIGHT weigh 15lbs for seat and back. a donut spare only weighs 15 to 20lbs.

Why take something out hat will be in when your at a light?
My stock 96 (see time below) ran with everything in the car, including a passenger, full size spare, and full tank of gas, on bald 225's on a wet night! I bet I could pull a 15flat out of her on a nicer day.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
OMG Homer, that is some funny stuff! Lol, too bad that car would outrun me even with all the rice addons...

·
Registered
489 Posts
my stock pass side seat weighed just under 48lbs, the driver side weighs more because its all power

Josh

IMO run it like it is

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You'd think the benches would weigh a lot... but I guess they don't.

·
11,719 Posts

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
GreenBird said:
My stock 96 (see time below) ran with everything in the car, including a passenger, full size spare, and full tank of gas, on bald 225's on a wet night! I bet I could pull a 15flat out of her on a nicer day.
[email protected]

not with that MPH you wont run a 15 flat. youll need to have a high 90-91 mph to get to a 15.00

ive gotten mine down to 3670lbs thats without the jack/spare and very little gas.

·
11,719 Posts
VicRattlehead said:

[email protected]

not with that MPH you wont run a 15 flat. youll need to have a high 90-91 mph to get to a 15.00

ive gotten mine down to 3670lbs thats without the jack/spare and very little gas.
I know that...you get higher mphs on days when you can hook up in the first 60ft!

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
GreenBird said:

I know that...you get higher mphs on days when you can hook up in the first 60ft!
not really, mph is directly related to HP. more HP more MPH, less HP less MPH. 60' time has nothing to do with MPH just ET

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Bros got a question

Has anyone tried taking out the inner door pannels. I was wondering how much they way?

·
Registered
247 Posts
The inner door panels on my stinkin' Lincoln are huge but pretty light. Yours ought to be similar. Sometimes it gets tough figuring out where you can lose weight on a car without doing anything dopey or dangerous.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts