TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was thinking about getting the Jerry Mod done, but I wouldn't trust myself to do it. I was thinking, since a tranny shop could do it, couldn't I have them read up on the Jerry Mod, and have em do it for me? Do you think it would cost extra for them to read up on how to do it? If it would, wouldn't the B&M shift improver kit be just, or almost just as good as getting the Jerry mod?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Jerry Mod for the love of god.

there is a thread in the old forums on this same topic, it turned into a pretty heated debate with myself and A-Train. without repeating too much that was in the thread, what it comes down to, IMHO, is do the J-Mod unless someone holds a gun to your heads and demands otherwise

:D

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
WaLieN said:
wouldn't the B&M shift improver kit be just, or almost just as good as getting the Jerry mod?
This would be like doctoring an amputation with a bandaid. No matter how good bandaids are, it won't even come close to doing it right.

·
Registered
538 Posts
J-Mod....

I have the J-Mod done to my car, i was considering the transgo, however, after reading over jerry's tranny article and asking around on the board, it only made sense to do the J-Mod......Thin about it....The J-Mod was designed by the guy who designed your tranny. I had A-Train install mine. I love it.

BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But I wouldn't be able to do it myself, I'd have to find a local place that'll do it for me.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
youve got a garage right? all you really need is a jack and some jackstands and a small collection of hand tools. i dont think i needed any special tools...

except the plastic bag to fish checkballs out of a hazardous waste bin :eek:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really wouldn't trust myself to do it, and if I fudged up, I'd be royally screwed.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
WaLieN said:
I really wouldn't trust myself to do it, and if I fudged up, I'd be royally screwed.
the only two things i can see going wrong are 1) misdrilling the plate or 2) re-attaching the linkage wrong. if you do the first, you can get a new seperator plate for cheap, if you do the second youll realize it real quick and all youve really done is wasted a couple quarts of ATF (and of course made a nice story to tell people)

im sure you could mess something else up if you really tried, but those were the two things i was worried about when i did mine, and everything turned out just fine. plus, you are in cali right? you could probably find someone around you that has already done it that would be willing to give you a hand.

must...have...faith...

:cool:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Getting yourself to dig into the tranny for the first time is the hardest part of the whole job, the rest is cake. Just do it.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
crawl under, get messy

be like AndyR and get a mercon bath when you drop the pan to quickly. Or not, either way the J-mod is simple

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Re: crawl under, get messy

JoelBender said:
be like AndyR and get a mercon bath when you drop the pan to quickly. Or not, either way the J-mod is simple
lol

i bet alot of us know what that is like. do yourself a favor and replace the stock tranny pan with one that has a drain plug. youll thank yourself the next time you go to take it off, which for me was about five minutes after i put it back on :D

also make sure you let the car cool for a good period of time. hot ATF and human skin does not go together very well :eek:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
J-Rob said:

the only two things i can see going wrong are 1) misdrilling the plate or 2) re-attaching the linkage wrong. if you do the first, you can get a new seperator plate for cheap, if you do the second youll realize it real quick and all youve really done is wasted a couple quarts of ATF (and of course made a nice story to tell people)

im sure you could mess something else up if you really tried, but those were the two things i was worried about when i did mine, and everything turned out just fine. plus, you are in cali right? you could probably find someone around you that has already done it that would be willing to give you a hand.

must...have...faith...

:cool:
Yeah, I know a guy near me, Evil Bird, but I don't think he's done the Jerry Mod yet.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
poor Andy, he's gonna flip

when he sees this thread :p

·
Registered
119 Posts
If it's running okay now... (LONG)

WaLieN:

If it's running okay now, use the opportunity to research the subject. Do EVERYTHING you can to learn about the process.

For me, I knew about the tranny problems before I bought the my 'Bird. I learned that right here, at TCCOA. Like you, there was NO WAY I could afford to screw this up.

Once I had the car, and finally "felt" the infamous shudddddder, I got to where I could "force" the car to do it. And, like everybody else, it annoyed the crap outta me.

Time for action.

I read (and printed) all that I could from here. Took notes. Made lists.

I read everything I could get my hands on about ANY transmission. Took more notes.

Then I grabbed a couple beaters by the tranny (see below), and changed the fluid/filter on the Toyota. Feeling cocky, I grabbed a couple articles about the Mopar Torqueflite A-727, did the fluid/filter dance, and modded it slightly on the way out.

It was time to start buying parts.

Returning to TCCOA, I reread all the info, and shopped a bit, and learned that Transgo's kit had a videotape in it.

Bought me a Transgo kit, and a TON of parts from Ford.

Read all the instructions with the kit and watched the movie TWICE before I turned "Bolt One" on the car.

By this point, I was pointing out mistakes that they made in the movie! (It was STILL worth it, because I was getting to see the tranny's guts without actually having to get dirty.)

Grabbed the brother-in-law for a second set of eyes to watch things come apart, so that they would double-check as things went back together.

Took my time, made sure everything was sterile all the time, followed A-Train's instructions (Thanks, A-Train!!!), and it went very well. I even sidestepped the common "I did the J-mod and now I don't have OD" problem.

I did find like, three things I would have done differently in the process, but the advice here is good.

And, look at some of the old posts on the old board -- some of the posts were questions asked by members "in mid-J-mod", that were answered in REAL TIME by other TCCOA members!

I could go on lavishing praise, and add infinite detail about my tranny, but I'll stop, and see if that's the desired effect.

Good luck, WaLieN!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts