TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can jerry's mod be performed on a 2001 mustang gt? If so, are the steps the same or are some parts different? I want this thing shifting hard/firm- needs to handle 400-450 hp. thanks

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
1. Yes

2. Same proceedure, just some parts are already updated- do a quick search for 01 gt tranny

3. No problem. Question is, can the internals and the rest of the driveline handle it?

Jay

Reactions: dirtyd0g

·
8,239 Posts
if you want a shift kit or whatever, just drill the plate per jerrys specs and remove the 2-3 spring.

If you want a race spec transmission to support 400+ at the wheels then your stock 4r70w is not going to cut it.

And jerry outlines how to build up a 5.4 truck trans.

JH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, right now i will be running around 300-320hp to the wheels, the 450+ is about a year away, in the mean time i want my tranny to shift real hard, real fast.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
And then there will be the rearend issues. But since you have a Mustang the parts are easier to come by to correct those problems.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Darrin, I almost forgot about the rearend troubles you are having. Thats alright we'll manhandle that thing by spring at least. I may have a hookup on a brand new set of 4.10's for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also have a diablosport predator tuner, would it be a bad idea to increase the line pressure with j-mod? Also, can you guys describe the different levels of the mod from mild to aggressive? I really want close to a race car feel when it shifts, but i don't want it to be undrivable in wet weather.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Line pressure should only be increased at the shift point. If you increase line pressure at all times you will eventually destroy the transmission. As for the shifts, I have the mild J-mod and with 3.73 the tires do chirp even at 3500 rpm. I have never felt the 300+ jmod so I could not tell you what it feels like. In rainy weather I have to ***** foot the car, sinc first gear is absolutely useless and even when the 1-2 shift comes at low rpms it tends to kick the rear end out a bit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
yup

I've got the 300+ hp setting on my trans. I'm running a 351C V-8, and it's an 03 stang trans. At WOT I spin going into 2nd and 3rd. Shifts are F I R M:diablo:. At light throttle, its firm, but not enough to knock your fillings out. Real streetable for my tastes anyways. I've got a Baumann TCS controlling the trans also. I'm VERY happy with the J-Mod/TCS combo. :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I have a 300+ J-mod and it's fine for the street. I also run a 2800stall 10inch converter and don't make very much power :( I get a sideways action on 1-2 at wot. it is a little too firm for most people ,but for cruising in the rain if you lift of the throttle for the shift you will be fine.
Alan

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I did an all out j-mod on mine and I have a 3800 stall converter. I can do rain, but with the wide tires and the stall, snow is absolutely impossible.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I've got the harshest JMod you can do, along with a chip that bumps the line pressure during the shifts, and I drive mine daily with no problems. The converter really softens up the low rpm shifts around town also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, from what i've read i am definately going with the most aggressive j-mod setup. Since i have a 2001 model 4r70w, which parts exactly am i going to need to do the mod? I was told i wouldn't need to update some parts like on older models. Part #'s would be great if applicable.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
2fast4uGT said:
Ok, from what i've read i am definately going with the most aggressive j-mod setup. Since i have a 2001 model 4r70w, which parts exactly am i going to need to do the mod? I was told i wouldn't need to update some parts like on older models. Part #'s would be great if applicable.
Well, that depends. Are you going to tear down the transmission at this point and change out the planetary gearset and restack the clutches?

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
PoweredBy351C said:
I've got a Baumann TCS controlling the trans also. I'm VERY happy with the J-Mod/TCS combo. :cool:

Wow, Someone else with one :=]

·
Registered
78 Posts
WkStill said:
Wow, Someone else with one :=]
So you've got the TCS also? How much have you played with the different inputs? I'm having a blast with it. I just talked with Greg today; I was asking him q's about the TC lock up adjustability, and any updates in the future. I've got no complaints. It's rather nice being able to tune as you go.
:headbang:

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
PoweredBy351C said:
So you've got the TCS also? How much have you played with the different inputs? I'm having a blast with it. I just talked with Greg today; I was asking him q's about the TC lock up adjustability, and any updates in the future. I've got no complaints. It's rather nice being able to tune as you go.
:headbang:
Well, I have had it since Oct 2002 (with over 25K miles now) .. I do have two shifts setup, pos 1 is normal (lockup @ ~50) and 2 is no lockup, shifts are the same.

I dislike the TC Lockup setup, and LPC Options. (ie, it would be nice for a Increase LPC by x% on shift) Although, when karl designed it in 97' it was sufficent, but now, in 05' its not, from my understanding "Karl" is working on a new design.. But I have yet to been able to commincate with him, I have sent karl over 5 emails, and have yet to ever get a response from him, Greg on the other had is 1 top notch guy, and he doesn't even understand why karl won't reply back to any of my emails.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts