TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
8,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took advantage of the decent weather today and installed the oil separator I bought from Rob. Once I figured out where to mount it, it went pretty easy. The 3.8L's PCV is on the passenger side and things are a little crowded on that side of engine compartment.

Found a nice little indent under the cowl!

Drilled the holes for the mounting bracket.

Separator mounted!

Hoses all tied in!

Hose on left of separator goes to the intake.

Hose on right of separator goes to the new PCV valve!

FYI 3.8ers, if you decide to buy one get the 3/8ths hose. Thanks to Rob for giving me a great deal on this, and to Darren for bringing these to my attention! :D

Joe

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
Just wait til you see how much oil you collect in there. ;) It's a worthwhile mod.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Looks very nice. I need one of these for each of my Super Coupes, they tend to vaporize the oil in the supercharger and when it condenses in the intercooler I end up with a little bit of oil every time I remove the lower IC tubes. Although this is completely normal, and I believe the oil has a quenching effect .. id still like to put one in-line from the PCV. ( If I could get it to re-route back to the oil pan that would be even better )

Mind if we ask how much this modification cost ?

- Dan

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Lookin Good Joe.. ;)

That matches your engine bay nicely..The fact is serves a purpose makes it even better..lol

Rayo..

·
Administrator
8,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mind if we ask how much this modification cost ?
Not at all! $115 shipped from RobertP. Then it was like $12 for me to go buy a new PCV, I figured I may as well do that while I was there! :)

Lookin Good Joe.. ;)

That matches your engine bay nicely..The fact is serves a purpose makes it even better..lol
Thanks Ray! See what a little money from Christmas time will buy you! :D

Joe

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I need one of these for each of my Super Coupes, they tend to vaporize the oil in the supercharger and when it condenses in the intercooler I end up with a little bit of oil every time I remove the lower IC tubes. Although this is completely normal, and I believe the oil has a quenching effect..
Not sure what you mean by "quenching"....but if enough oil makes it to the combustion chamber it's No Octane City and that's one of the Power-Added engine's worst enemies.

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
An oil separator, or coalescing oil filter, is used in a CCV system to remove oil from the air drawn into the intake tract from the crankcase.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I remember DIY building one for my old 4cyl Honda commuter car a few years ago.

You don't need fancy SS hoses -- you can make this out of the bulk fuel line hose sold at Autozone, a few barbed connectors, and an air/water separator sold at most hardware stores for use with air compressors (you don't want water going into your air tools).

I think my small setup cost $30. You can probably build this bigger one below w/o the fancy connectors for $40.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/628462-diy-oil-separator-catch-can-w-pics-write-up.html

Regards,
-g
PS. IIRC, my Honda (used daily for commuting), would collect about ~1oz of oil every month.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
The difference is this looks much nicer, I'd be happy to put together a group buy or what ever if any u guys are interested

Robert

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Total "noob" question, is this a good idea for a stock engine? If so, definitely interested if we end up with a group purchase as mentioned by Robert P.

Thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
5,115 Posts
I don't think it's a bad idea, but if there's minimal blowby on a stock motor, it's not as big a deal as on, say, a supercharged/turbocharged engine where there's a lot more blowby due to the higher pressures.

RwP

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I don't think it's a bad idea, but if there's minimal blowby on a stock motor, it's not as big a deal as on, say, a supercharged/turbocharged engine where there's a lot more blowby due to the higher pressures.

RwP
+1 You should have seen the blow-by coming out the exhausts of the power-added engines at the dyno the day I went!

·
Administrator
8,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If and when the decent weather gets here I'll be watching it. :)

Joe

1 - 20 of 32 Posts