TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I searched, everybody has different views on this though.

I wanna do the Jmod but I have alot of questions.

Will it shorten my transmission life or TC life?

It firms up the shifts and taks away the nasty shifting delay?

Which tech article do I look at to do the Jmod? I saw Shifty Business and a regular Jmod article, I'm lost. Any links?

Is there any other things I need to know to improve the Jmod, such as different parts from what I have here? Could these partsbe obtained from Ford or Napa?

F7AZ-7F251-AA Piston $13.58
F75Z-7F284-AA Spring $ 3.45
F7AZ-7H292-AB Piston $ 7.02
F6AZ-7A098-A Tranny Filter $26.64
EOAZ-7D189-A Piston $13.28
F75Z-7H188-AA Piston $21.90
F87Z-7F201-AA Spring $ 3.38
F2VY-7C155-A Gasket $ 2.95
F5AZ-7D100-A Gasket $ 4.17
F2VY-7A191-A Pan Gasket $13.51

What's the deal with the deep oil pan? What car does it come from? Is it a direct swap? Is it THAT much of an improvement?

What will leaving the 1-2 or 2-3 spring out do?

Mercon V the best stuff to use? 14 qts?

Do I just have the car off and drop the pan, drain fluid and start?

I have a B&M Shift Kit. How do I take that crap out and if I do will the shifts go back to normal or am I permanetly screwed?

Lots of questions I need each one covered. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
#1 No it won't shorten the life of the transmission or torque converter if you do the right changes. Read everything before doing anything.
#2 read all of the tech articles there is no harm in knowing more than you need to.
#3 & #4 I don't see the updated pan listed there. Yes you need it ford updated it for a reason. I'm not sure on all of the other part numbers you need to read those articles to figure it out for yourself. Don't forget about the right drill bits.
#5 mercon V is not the best stuff it is the only stuff to use.
#6 Are you nuts?
#7 I don't know the B&M kit, at this time I would suggest you buy a newer valvebody. 98 is worth buying,but 99 is better.

In summary read all of the articles to find out what you will need, what you will be changing, and why.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Darrin said:
I hope he didn't mean what you thought he meant there Alan.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
That was the only way I could take it.

Oh the best place to get the parts is from ford. I doubt Napa carry's anything ,but the filter. Try Dan @ 1-800-847-2047

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hey you haven't lived until you've taken a bath in Mercon.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Yes, you should get the 1997 upgraded pan. It costs under $20

It prevents fluid starvation when you accelerate from a stop, and taking a turn at the same time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
First tranny in my 94 cougar lasted only 89k. Second trany was a Ford reman to 95 specs to which I added the new style bonded accumulator pistons and the base level Jmod but without the spring in the 1-2 piston. LOVED the results and as far as durability.....180k (270k total on the car now) and an fluid change every 25k later and still ticking.

If anything, getting rid of the slip between shifts will extend tranny life.

P.S. I didn't upgrade to the later pan because I was cheap!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
dirtyd0g said:
In summary read all of the articles to find out what you will need, what you will be changing, and why.
The shifty business is a very good article and does simplify everything, but you should really read it all to know what you are changing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read

I think I'm goin with the mild jmod. Can I leave the 1-2 and 2-3 spring out with stock gears and motor?

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
i havent looked at the articles in a while, the jmod is part of both the first 2 articles, one tells you how to get to the valve body and how to do the springs and such, the other tells you how to modify the valve body itself. so you need to know both.

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The light has shined through!

I went to see my dad at Ford today and told him I wanted my car to shift harder by modifyin the valave body. I told him I didn't like the BM shift kit and he said ok. So to my surprise he calls his friend, Eddie, at Pineville Transmission and Eddie tells me to come by with the papers. So I'm sh-ttn bricks and I go over there. he looks at it, says I have all this stuff and that I don't have to buy anything. He has the springs gaskets, pan, etc.
So I'm gettin a free Jmod and maybe I can talk my way into trac-loc with 3:73's and a Marauder TC for free too. It pays to know somebody.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thats awesome. Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Nightmist_Outlaw said:
I went to see my dad at Ford today and told him I wanted my car to shift harder by modifyin the valave body. I told him I didn't like the BM shift kit and he said ok. So to my surprise he calls his friend, Eddie, at Pineville Transmission and Eddie tells me to come by with the papers. So I'm sh-ttn bricks and I go over there. he looks at it, says I have all this stuff and that I don't have to buy anything. He has the springs gaskets, pan, etc.
So I'm gettin a free Jmod and maybe I can talk my way into trac-loc with 3:73's and a Marauder TC for free too. It pays to know somebody.
punk !!! :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts